I can’t get my Laptop to “send” 5.1 through the 4K-TV to the Logitech-Z906!

Feb 16, 2018
Hello Everybody, I would like to come up with this old issue since is the same I've been struggling to solve.

Actual Configuration:

Asus N56VZ with Nvidia 650M
- So far I checked, the chipset supports even Dolby True HD und DTS-HD via Bitstream.
Samsung MU6179
- Supports Dolby Digital, DTS. (already working with other devices)
Logitech Z906 5.1 THX
- Only Optical inputs. Supports Dolby Digital, DTS.

Connections are just as the sequence above; I connect all my devices via HDMI to the Samsung and pass the sound via Digital/Optical Cable to the Z906.

My PS4 is working great. Also internal TV-app as Netflix and 5.1-TV-Channels.
However I can’t get my Laptop to “see” or “send” 5.1 through the TV to the Z906 !

- Not trying to play games, only for watching 5.1 MKV/Blue-ray movies
- VLC is set for 5.1 output, as well as the the Audio Options from the .MVK files
- Drivers are updated.(Nvidia + High Audio Definition, even Codecs for Realtek- (although I don’t wanna use the S/PIDF output)
- I already checked the Windows sound configurations for the Samsung(no 5.1 options, just stereo)
- Media Stream Option configuration? I’ve tried but couldn’t find any solution here

Could some please tell me what I have missed?
Thank you.

Solution
I gave up on VLC a few years back.

I suggest you try Potplayer. Don't mess around with the settings too much. Just right click on the grey screen when it opens ... select 'audio' then 'Output speakers' and pick 5.1. Open your movie file and all should be good.

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from du.marron : "I can’t get my Laptop to “send” 5.1 through the 4K-TV to the Logitech-Z906!"

robert600

Distinguished
I gave up on VLC a few years back.

I suggest you try Potplayer. Don't mess around with the settings too much. Just right click on the grey screen when it opens ... select 'audio' then 'Output speakers' and pick 5.1. Open your movie file and all should be good.

Solution