Solved! I can't remove DNS Unlocker Malware/Virus. I have done everything I can think of as well as suggestions I have read. Anyone ha

adebarrows

Estimable
Aug 27, 2015
I have done everything I can think of as well as suggestions I have read. Anyone have any idea how to remove this thing? It is messing up my computer quite a bit. It doesn't show as an extension in the browser, I can't locate the file for it on the computer, and ever since it showed up my anti-virus keeps freezing so I can't use that to detect it.

Solution
While reformatting will work, it's a rather extreme solution which I think most people would like to use only as a last resort. Things you can try before:

Most antivirus makers also have boot CDs. You can boot from this and use it to run your virus scan. The virus/malware won't have its clutches on the OS from boot-up.

You can remove the hard drive, place it in a computer you know is clean (you can mount it directly inside the case, or via a USB 3.0 enclosure), and run the anti-virus and malware scans from the second computer. I don't think Malwarebytes has a boot CD, so this is about the only way to run it if the malware is preventing Malwarebytes from functioning.

Depending on how deeply the malware has embedded itself into...
While reformatting will work, it's a rather extreme solution which I think most people would like to use only as a last resort. Things you can try before:

Most antivirus makers also have boot CDs. You can boot from this and use it to run your virus scan. The virus/malware won't have its clutches on the OS from boot-up.

You can remove the hard drive, place it in a computer you know is clean (you can mount it directly inside the case, or via a USB 3.0 enclosure), and run the anti-virus and malware scans from the second computer. I don't think Malwarebytes has a boot CD, so this is about the only way to run it if the malware is preventing Malwarebytes from functioning.

Depending on how deeply the malware has embedded itself into your OS, removing the malware using either of these methods could result in the OS no longer being bootable. So be sure you backup your data before. (And be sure to scan the backup after you've cleaned up the infection.)

Solution

buzzlightyear1

Estimable
Sep 23, 2015
Guys DNS Unlocker is most likely showing ads in your browser because of hijacked/poisoned DNS, no need to reinstall the OS. Check your DNS servers on your OS and router to check they are what you expect them to be (either automatic or values provided by a dns provider like Google DNS or OpenDNS).

In my case I found that the most likely cause is a poisoned upstream DNS server providing incorrect values for www.google-analytics.com, my DNS settings were intact. You can install Malware Bytes and activate the Premium features, and/or install an adblocker and block *.google-analytics.com. Blocking *.dnsqa.me will also help.

BrooklynBrett

Commendable
Apr 4, 2016
EASY FIX:

DNS Unlocker takes advantage of how easy to use browser are. You can remove it with by:

1) Remove DNS from control panel, program files, DNS Unlocker, remove

2) remove any browser extensions

***Very important*** DNS Unlocker will create homepages and shortcuts that will reset DNS settings so to avoid this:
a.change the homepage, delete all shortcuts to browsers!
b.Reset all browsers as a precaution

3) Navigate to: Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections, go to properties, IP protocol 4 and 6, obtain IP address automatically, Advanced DNS Tab and remove any IP addresses.

4) reinstall browsers, DNS unlocker should now be gone

Do not download all the freeware other sites recommend, it is this easy to remove and they will not work.

techabstractalien

Commendable
May 11, 2016
Check the settings of your DNS server address and configure them if they are modified. You can use the IP addresses 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as your DNS servers. This way you will use Google Public DNS.

AcmeUK

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016
My browser got hijacked by DNS Unlocker!

I am using Win10 with Defender activated and I am careful about what sites I visit, but I still got hit!
Spybot S & D did not find the ‘Malware’ neither did AdAware.

Analysis of my system showed that DNS Unlocker had made 2 changes to my system.

The first change I located was that DNS server addresses had been added to my network adapter TCP/IP settings.
To get to these settings I navigated to my network adapter then navigated as follows:-

Properties > Internet Protocol V4 > Properties > Advanced > DNS tab

Here in the DNS server addresses I found that 82.163.142.7 95.211.158.134 had been added.

I deleted these addresses and rebooted my PC, all fixed; or so I thought.

After a while I was again bombarded by DNS Unlocker adds. I checked the TCP/IP settings and there was nothing there.
I eventually found that a Registry key had been added. See details below:-

Key Location : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters

Key Name : NameServer

Key Type : REG_SZ

Key Value : 82.163.142.7 95.211.158.134

I deleted the key, rebooted and all is well.

I hope this helps others.

Balthazar_1

Prominent
Aug 7, 2017

I created this account just to thank you! :D You are the best! Remember folks to reset your browser after this process and then restart PC.

sandhirs

Prominent
Aug 30, 2017
none of these methods in the comments worked......so what i did was i downloaded 360 security and that got rid of it,but the problem with that was that that it took 3 hours to find the adware. so if you're looking for the the way to remove it 100% and have alot of time on your hands, 360 security is the way to go.but make sure yo have the auto reboot[should be called something like that] on or else it wont work.{my pc is windows 10 with intel graphics if you're wondering if it will work for you}[they also have a premium version that scans faster but not needed]

mdd1963

Distinguished
I'd be surprised if AdwCleaner or Malwarebytes did not see any sort of DNS/browser redirect issues...

As for 360TS, I used it successfully for approximately 18 months without issue....and would do so again if not equally happy so far with SecureAPlus...