Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help in solving the issue.
- Start by checking on your keyboard if you have a function key with a wireless icon on it. Press fn+that key and it should enable/disable the wifi adapter.
- If it doesn't work try to uninstall/reinstall the wifi adapter.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the wifi adapter.
- Download and install the latest driver from HP for your laptop.
- Here's the link: http/support.hp.com/us-en/drivers
- Once installed reboot your laptop for all the changes to take effect and test it again if it will connect or not.
- If it will still not enable you may need to open your laptop and make sure that the wifi card is seated properly.
- You can take it out and put it back in the motherboard and see if that will solve the issue.
- Last resort would be to reinstall Windows itself.