I could never afford the Pixel 9 Pro Fold — and these leaked specs make me glad I can’t

bjrosen

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2007
I don't get Google's reasoning. A premium product should never be worse than it's mainstream cousin. A Cadillac would never have inferior components than a Chevy. Buyers of top end products aren't price sensitive, if they needed to charge $2100 instead of $1800 that wouldn't reduce sales, in fact it the opposite if the premium product was better in some important way and at least as good in every other. The only reason I can think of for using inferior components in the top end phone is power consumption. Screens are power hungry. Batteries are heavy, doubling the weight of the battery to handle the extra power required by the second screen might make the phone unwieldy. The solution might be better batteries, there would be a cost associated with higher energy density batteries but on the top end product that should be something that can be passed along.

Aug 12, 2024
generally speaking i would agree that they are expensive. These devices aren't for the normal user. I didn't even think they would be for me until i figured out how to replace my laptop/tablet with them. On the road and out of the office these make my spreadsheets manageable and only need one device. I will be picking up a new fold. This "tool" is valuable to my specific needs.

Reactions: mtthwmrtn777
Jan 7, 2024
Price or lackluster specs aside, saying that a phone being "foldable" and having a screen the size of a tablet is a "gimmick" just makes the writer sound like he has absolutely no idea what he's talking about. I've owned two. "Foldables" are actually legitimate "utility", "function" and an experience that can completely change the way you look at smart cell phones.