I have a Sony DCR-TRV 250 and a dell laptop running Windows 10. The drivers on the original disk don't appear to work with Win

Keith_23

Commendable
Feb 23, 2016
I want to save/view the videos on the camera to my laptop. USB would be most obvious but I can't get an image. I suspect the 2 systems are not compatible. Probably need the right driver. The original disk that came with the camera doesn't want to do the job.

Solution
If you have a way to add a Firewire card (such as a Firewire ExpressCard) to your laptop then that would be the way to go. Of course you would need a legacy firewire driver. If you do not have a slot for a card (usually located on one side of the laptop) then you will need a video capture device. The device would connect to the laptop via a USB port. With a video capture device you could connect the camcorder using either a firewire port (provided the device has one) or using the A/V out cable from the camcorder.

Links you may find useful:
http://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/Firewire-1.htm
Laptop Firewire Card
USB Video Capture Device
Blackmagic Design Intensity Shuttle for USB 3.0

You can't use the USB...

Keith_23

Commendable
Feb 23, 2016

If you have a way to add a Firewire card (such as a Firewire ExpressCard) to your laptop then that would be the way to go. Of course you would need a legacy firewire driver. If you do not have a slot for a card (usually located on one side of the laptop) then you will need a video capture device. The device would connect to the laptop via a USB port. With a video capture device you could connect the camcorder using either a firewire port (provided the device has one) or using the A/V out cable from the camcorder.

Links you may find useful:
http://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/Firewire-1.htm
Laptop Firewire Card
USB Video Capture Device
Blackmagic Design Intensity Shuttle for USB 3.0

You can't use the USB out on that camcorder to transfer video. The USB port on that model is for viewing pictures only; Sony DCR-TRV250 user manual

Solution