I have a toshiba satellite and the screen is black. Any ideas

Jacqueline_21

Prominent
May 21, 2017
My toshiba satellite laptop has a black screen. .all the lights are on and you can hear it start up, but nothing on the screen.

Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
BenKnack2468 Laptop Tech Support 1
R Laptop Tech Support 3
A Laptop Tech Support 7
mfenton27 Laptop Tech Support 4
A Laptop Tech Support 11
J Laptop Tech Support 1
T Laptop Tech Support 3
J Laptop Tech Support 1
C Laptop Tech Support 2
A Laptop Tech Support 8
S Laptop Tech Support 2