I have an XPS 8700. Recently installed SSD.

JoeKerr

Estimable
Dec 4, 2015
Since installing the SSD as my boot drive, I can not get my Microsoft Word or Excel to open. They are on my HDD. Is there anyway to boot from my HDD? Or is there any suggestion on opening these programs? Thanks!

Solution
IF the old disk is still bootable, just boot to it and run what you need. Press the F-key that corresponds to 'boot options' or 'select boot drive' and then pick the HDD.

But to answer your question, if th old hdd is still bootabel then yes a migrate os program would still be able to work. I would suggest you backup the hdd first.

It would probably be quicker and cleaner to just reinstall word & Excel, all your data files on the hdd would be fine & still work fine if you did that.

JoeKerr

Estimable
Dec 4, 2015

JoeKerr

Estimable
Dec 4, 2015
popatim said:
Unles syou used a 'Migrate OS' type program to get windows on the SSD those programs would need to be reinstalled to work right as they write to the registry and create hidden files in the users folder. (Thanks papatim)

I've already done a clean install. Would it be possible for me to go back and use a "migrate program" over my clean install SSD? Would that screw up the disk or would it erase and take on the new info?

popatim

Splendid
IF the old disk is still bootable, just boot to it and run what you need. Press the F-key that corresponds to 'boot options' or 'select boot drive' and then pick the HDD.

But to answer your question, if th old hdd is still bootabel then yes a migrate os program would still be able to work. I would suggest you backup the hdd first.

It would probably be quicker and cleaner to just reinstall word & Excel, all your data files on the hdd would be fine & still work fine if you did that.

Solution