I have the Logitech z906, I want to be able to play two inputs at once, is this possible?

Mnementh

Commendable
Jul 8, 2016
Hello, I have never been to this forum, so I apologize if this question has been addressed, or is simply not possible.

I just bought and setup the Logitech z906 5.1 surround sound system, which is great. However, I would like to be able to simultaneously play sounds from my PC and my Xbox One through one input (or multiple, whatever is required for me to hear both) while retaining the 5.1 surround.

I previously had a getup where I took my outputs from all my audio sources and mixed them with a Rolls Stereo line mixer, which worked great, but obviously only provided stereo.

I appreciate any help or even just the stone cold fact that it can't be done.

Solution
If you would be OK with the stereo out from one of the sources you could use the same Rolls mixer on the front left - right channels only. If you wanted surround on both then you would need 12 channels of input and 6 channels output. Probably more expensive than it would be worth to to buy a mixer capable of doing that.
You might be able to build three of these to do the job without breaking the bank
http://www.instructables.com/id/Altoids-Tin-18-Stereo-Mixer/
the z906 is set up to switch between its sources. either A or B (optical or 3.5mm) not both so it is not capable on its own to do what you want.

you have two options generally..

A) make use of a mixer which can handle that many sources (6ch from each device). on the pc end you would need 3.5mm to rca splitters (3 of them) and on the console side you would likely need either a hdmi or optical 5.1 audio extractor (either 3x3.5mm output or 6x rca output for the 6ch 5.1 and if you need adapter cables to fit up to the mixer). if you want to hear yourself through a microphone while you speak on the console, that would be a separate issue. likewise, its possible to mix while having one source be just 2.0 and another 5.1. mixers still will not be cheap, but certainly more reasonable than anything digital.

B) accept just 2.0 from the console and use an audio input on your pc and output only audio from the pc. you can get audio when the pc is on only in this manner.

If you would be OK with the stereo out from one of the sources you could use the same Rolls mixer on the front left - right channels only. If you wanted surround on both then you would need 12 channels of input and 6 channels output. Probably more expensive than it would be worth to to buy a mixer capable of doing that.
You might be able to build three of these to do the job without breaking the bank
http://www.instructables.com/id/Altoids-Tin-18-Stereo-Mixer/

Solution

Mnementh

Commendable
Jul 8, 2016

Thank you for the feedback! When I get some time I will try some of these options out.