I have to max out my volume with my desktop-to-receiver hdmi connection

Apr 3, 2014
I recently bought a Dell Inspiron 3847 desktop with Windows 7 Home Premium. I hooked an HDMI cable to my Yamaha RX-V377 receiver. For some reason, the Realtek High Definition driver would not show HDMI, so a Dell tech person had me disable it and set up a video driver that would carry the feed. But, even though I have all my PC volume controls turned up 100 percent, including in Foobar, I still have to have my receiver volume up almost 100 percent! Tried a different HDMI cord and had the same result. Regular CDs played from a Blu-Ray player have normal volume. I also have an HDMI connection from a laptop to a different receiver that also outputs at low volume, although not quite as bad. Would a dedicated sound card fix this problem?

Solution
Are you sure you have not activated any signal processing on the receiver? Such as Hall or Movie Theater effects or Dolby (Pro Logic) Surround. Read pages 30-60 of the user manual, especially page 35, 59 & 60.

You may view and download the Yamaha RX-V377 User Manual at the following link:

- http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset/file/?language=en&site=usa.yamaha.com&asset_id=61629

If you experience the same outcome using two separate computers, it's a safe bet a setting need to be configured on the Yamaha receiver.

jFiveNYC

Estimable
Mar 28, 2014
Are you sure you have not activated any signal processing on the receiver? Such as Hall or Movie Theater effects or Dolby (Pro Logic) Surround. Read pages 30-60 of the user manual, especially page 35, 59 & 60.

You may view and download the Yamaha RX-V377 User Manual at the following link:

- http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset/file/?language=en&site=usa.yamaha.com&asset_id=61629

If you experience the same outcome using two separate computers, it's a safe bet a setting need to be configured on the Yamaha receiver.

Solution
Apr 3, 2014
Your reply resulted in a solution, Under the volume settings, I increased the dbs from 0 to 5 db and that gave more volume. I did not have any DSPs activated; the setting is on Straight. I don't know if I should start a new thread for this, but since you seem familiar with the Yamaha, another irritating problem is that when I have my computer on and turn the receiver on, the Yamaha driver setting is removed and the only way I can get it back is to restart the computer. So apparently I have to start the receiver first before booting up the computer. What's up with that?

jFiveNYC

Estimable
Mar 28, 2014
Not sure, but we could discuss this further in a new thread if you provide some more details.

In the interest of forum housekeeping, please choose the best solution or close this thread altogether .