I have visual, but no audio from my hdmi cable, laptop to tv

rturner1617

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
Hi guys,
I'm pretty good with technology...but seem to be stumped.
I have
-a pretty old windows 7 laptop
-a fairly new tv
-an HDMI cord to connect the two.
I cannot for the life of me seem to get audio through to tv from my computer, but I have had success before.
It seems (now I could be very incorrect,) to narrow down how I plug in the HDMI cord... As in, the order of how I plug it in.
I need music while I clean...save me. :(

ShadowsVoid

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013
"Open the Control Panel and click on Sound. On the playback tab, you should see more than one device. If not, right-click in the white space and choose Show Disabled Devices. Hopefully your TV or at least HDMI speakers will appear in the list and you can select them instead of the laptop's.

If you still hear no audio, check that the sound isn't muted, and that the volume is set at a reasonable level both on your computer and on the TV. You may need to adjust both to get something appropriate - and if you want to control volume from your TV remote remember to set the PC volume at a level from which turning the TV volume up and down is meaningful."

rturner1617

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
Tried it. None of that worked... the common sense stuff is out of the way.
It's the weirdest thing, I've literally done everything I could think of and read other forums.
I started by resetting the HDMI to default, and switching devices to see if I was just wrong.

gerlip

Estimable
May 8, 2014
I dont know enough but would it make sense that your video card may not have a sound card too, so you would have to link another sound cord from the laptop to the tv... those headphone looking plugs...