I have VLC on Windows 10. DVDs play just fine but CDs won't play at all. can you please help. thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawngolladay

Prominent
Nov 17, 2017
Windows 10 VLC error message when I try to play a CD.
Your input can't be opened
VLC is unable to open the MRL'dvd:///E:/' . Check the log for details.

Solution
If you are playing your own burned CD/DVD's try the discs on another known working computer - especially one with VLC if possible. If the disc is playable using other devices and applications that would also help narrow down the possible problems.

Verify that the disc is indeed readable and playable.

If so, then proceed with:

1) Verifying that your optical drive is correctly configured for your system: e.g., driver letter assignment

2) Reinstalling the optical drive's drivers. (Download from the drive manufacturer's website.)

3) Reinstalling VLC.

May well be that a Windows Update created the problem either via corrupted software, buggy software, or just by making some configuration change to your system.

Objective is to...

pmkatz99

Prominent
Nov 18, 2017
Exact same issue here. I reinstalled VLC and now it just crashes on launch. I have an HP SH-216BB DVD drive. This is new behavior; did a Win 10 update break something?

If you are playing your own burned CD/DVD's try the discs on another known working computer - especially one with VLC if possible. If the disc is playable using other devices and applications that would also help narrow down the possible problems.

Verify that the disc is indeed readable and playable.

If so, then proceed with:

1) Verifying that your optical drive is correctly configured for your system: e.g., driver letter assignment

2) Reinstalling the optical drive's drivers. (Download from the drive manufacturer's website.)

3) Reinstalling VLC.

May well be that a Windows Update created the problem either via corrupted software, buggy software, or just by making some configuration change to your system.

Objective is to methodically narrow down the problem to one specific source albeit configuration, software, or hardware.

Could also be that some future "update" will quietly fix the problem....

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.