News I just bought the MacBook Pro 2020 over the MacBook Air — here's why

May 9, 2020
Lol what a total waste of money.
MaC bAd
1p74ap.jpg

cupcakewalk

Estimable
Apr 4, 2017
Your MBPro certainly could have lasted longer. My main macOS machine is a 2009 running El Capitan. It's in solid shape with max RAM and a middle-of-the-road SSD. I briefly had a 16" 2019, but it did not go well, especially Adobe's 32-bit installers in Catalina. I returned it within the return window. I'll wait for 2020 and see what the upgrades are for the newest 16".

May 10, 2020
I also just bought a new MacBook Pro to replace my old machine — a bottom-of-the-line MBP from 2009. That machine is still running working well, even though I once spilled a glass of red wine into the keyboard. It was out of warranty at the time, but for some reason Apple decided to replace the motherboard and screen for free. I don't know why. Anyway, there are a couple programs I use that aren't supported by El Capitan, so it's time to retire it. I bought the low-end configuration again, which I expect will get me through the next ten years as well as the last one did.

costanza

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
FAKE NEWS. You could've had Louis Rossman or someone just as competent repair your old reliable mac for a couple hundred bucks. Just be honest...you WANTED the new mac, so you bought it.

mickrussom

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2008
Done with Apple - the support keeping terrorist data encrypted, force only fake-news / lame stream news on Apple news and with MacOS Catalina they have banned all third party code from running along with all 32-bit code.

Apple has lost its way and their devices are only "granted" or "leased" to a user now. Banning third party KEXTs is out of control draconian / authoritarian.

I have 5 macbook pros in the household plus an iphone x and a 6th gen ipad.

After about 2013 and especially after the butterfly keyboard debacle apple started with soldered RAM and SSD and hard to replace batteries and impossible to replace keyboards that die on minuscule amounts of water, screen delaminations / coating issues Apple has horrible costs/pricing and horrible quality. Also most of their cool solutions are far below what is needed to get multi-core performance and MacOS and the firmware cheat users out of performance by under-sizing the cooling solution.

Apple has taken me, a good customer, and kicked me hard enough in the balls to know when i'm not longer wanted.

May 11, 2020