I just ditched Sling TV for YouTube TV — here’s why

Moose and Squirrel

Banned
BANNED
Mar 12, 2022
Sling was fine when all I needed was blue and that was $30, with plenty of deals always present, from free months to cheap streamer, dvr and antenna hardware.

But it had terrible picture quality, especially for sports. 720p and low bitrate. I hear they improved that somewhat, but given the price increases it's not worth saving a few dollars when YTV has far more channels and doesn't have the bugs and occasional glitches that Sling used to have.

rbtree

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2013
Sling was fine when all I needed was blue and that was $30, with plenty of deals always present, from free months to cheap streamer, dvr and antenna hardware.

But it had terrible picture quality, especially for sports. 720p and low bitrate. I hear they improved that somewhat, but given the price increases it's not worth saving a few dollars when YTV has far more channels and doesn't have the bugs and occasional glitches that Sling used to have.

Good article! I look for deals and have numerous streaming services like AZ Prime, paramount+, HBO, starz, peacock, etc and only pay under $35/mo total for those since I seem to always find discounts, cashback etc.
But I had Hulu for portions of a couple years mainly to watch NFL.. Switched to YT last fall... Got the $10 off for three mo and 2 weeks free.... Yes, YT TV was great.....

But I drop each of those as there's little else that interests me as I have so many standalone services.
Come next football season, I may have to try to sign up with a different email and id to get that same discount....

I do the same when my sub deals run out...

Mar 8, 2023

Depending on needs and circumstances you might need sling for either mlb or nhl because they are the only cheap live service with mlb network and nhl network with the sports addon. Though this costs $75/month if you have sling orange and blue and have forced abc channel. However sling is missing locals for most and rsns for all markets. The idea for sling is to get your locals with antenna. Rsns like Bally sports, nesn, msg can be bought separately for around $20-$30. This would make the bill $105/month making it barely cheaper than directv stream ultimate (it has nhl network). However this doesn't work if you have a nbc sports rsn or some other regional with a seperate subscription.

KADC

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
I pay roughly $63/mth USD at the current exchange rate ($85.99 CAD and that's after two rate increases in the past year) for 285ish cable TV channels (includes some time-shifted duplicates) plus 100ish music channels and a PVR. Is cable particularly expensive down there because none of these options are even close to worth it.

Mar 1, 2023
Cable is soon to be in the minority... After that, the big Streaming Alternatives, I think over time they will change. I understand why people want to see news, weather and sports live, but why does anyone need to be glued to watch their favorite TV shows at a particular time on a particular day? On demand video in my opinion will be the majority in the future. As an example, Hulu on demand (not Hulu live) has a vast library of current TV shows, no need for Live TV, no need for DVR. A ton of streaming content on demand on Netflix, Paramount+, and Peacock. Then there is all the free content to stream on Pluto, Freevee, and Tubi. Also, Sling is adding more free content as well. Plus, the new OTA 4K content you can get free.

Also, for the big cost streaming alternatives like YouTube TV, Hulu Live and Fubo - if they haven't already, make all news, and sports separate addon packages ... stop being like the dying cable companies who inflate your bill with things you don't watch.

Jul 25, 2022
The ONLY reason I stay Sling is Reelz (OP:L) on Hollywood Extra
If YTTV had Reelz, even an value add option, I will switch