I just switched from Android to iPhone after 9 years — and I'm never going back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken_G

Prominent
Mar 21, 2021
Apr 17, 2022
using ipad air 4 (first apple product), totally missing most notifications. Even with Ipad large scree estate, not showing any notification icons (counter argument will be apps icon badge)

Apr 17, 2022
We have both Android and Apple phones. I don't find either ecosystem lacking in any outstanding way. I prefer Android for a couple of reasons. One is the navigation. After all these years, I still am not used to the single button navigation with Apple. I just feel like a monkey smacking things until something happens close to what I was hoping for. The other is in fact the narrow set of customization options. I like my Microsoft Launcher and my tiny fonts and my custom icon pack.

Apr 17, 2022
Hi Tony,

I have been using an iPhone for 12 years now, a year ago I bought an Samsung S21 as most people I know was ranting about how great android is etc.

Luckily I kept my iPhone 12 device and currently use both in tandem.

Your article and comments are spot on and I fully share your opinions. I am of opinion, experiencing both worlds now, that the ranting about Android is only because of users not knowing what they are missing out on iPhone. Yes Android is customizable but who really cares, customization on my Samsung only made the the already anoying problems worst being battery life and app/system crashes and lag.

iPhone is just in another class at this stage.

Apr 17, 2022
I just woke up to find Google feed recommending this article and I had to sign up and say what's on my mind.
It's sad to see you have such an adamant opinion about Android without ever trying a Pixel phone - that one true Android experience, even more so since you seem to prefer the Google apps to their Apple counterparts. I must say I've owned only Pixels in the last 4 years and I don't believe I'm ever going back to any other phone maker (although I am tempted and curious) because of all the reasons you mentioned you love on an iPhone (the smooth experience, apps not crashing, phone never turning off or needing to restart).
I also believe it's a bit too soon for you to say NEVER GOING BACK to an OS after using a phone for only 2 weeks, which in the long term is rather insignificant. Trust me, you will encounter hiccups along the way, it's only natural and nothing is perfect.
Oh, that you don't need customization and that the iPhone better suits your needs (with MagSafe and all) that's a totally different thing to talk about.
But don't forget, people are different and there's a bunch of us who love Android for the free hand we're given, for the liberty it allows for other companies to build on, for the possibility to innovate, this giving Apple the way to implement features years and years after they've proven their use and value to the market.
I love Android because you don't have to pay a bag of money for apps and services and because I don't feel like I'm always a monkey in a cage, not being able to go my own way if that means it's different from the company's direction.

Apr 17, 2022
Ive had both samsung and apple products and also work in a electronics repair shop fixing both products. Both of them have their problems but I gotta say that apple products are the most problematic. Ive gone through lot of iphones that get stuck in update and dont want to boot to os, resulting in complete loss of the iphone. Also their customer support is so bad. They even try to evade your questions and concerns and are not much of help. Samsung on the other side has been more helpful on customer support. I once sent a galaxy s10 plus (broken screen) and a galaxy watch 3 (not turning on) for them to be fixed with warranty expired. After talking with them, they were able to fix them for free and I saved a total of $157 for the phone and $135 for the galaxy watch. And I have lot of more stories but these are the ones that I would like to share and let people know that is not only about the OS or functionality but also is important to consider hardware and customer support

Apr 17, 2022
I recently bought an iPhone Pro 13 and the experience has been so good that I don't see myself ever returning to Android.

I just switched from Android to iPhone after 9 years — and I'm never going back : Read more

Your first mistake was being on a Samsung to begin with. I've never in my past 3 pixel phones run into any of those issues unless it was on a beta edition of Android. But I see where you're coming from. Going from a Samsung S3 to a Pixel, back in 2016 I had a similar experience. Going to Vanilla Android was too good of an experience to ever go back.

Apr 17, 2022
People are still writing these flamewar articles today? It's a little difficult to take this article seriously when the majority of experience with Android has been Samsung based anyway. I honestly don't even consider Samsung devices to be Android devices. They just use the base OS. As others have mentioned Pixel devices, Xperia and as I've have found Motorola devices are all vastly superior experiences. To add a little flavor OnePlus and Xiaomi have also been nice.

I also see a number of folks saying "customization who needs it". These devices (well at least the ones you all seem to buy) aren't cheap but you get them and barely use them? It's like buying a pro or prosumer mirrorless camera and then not customizing the controls to how you shoot. You could have just gotten a point and shoot or used your phone. In the case of the phone any old cheap thing that makes phone calls should work for you because it wouldn't appear that you're doing enough to want to manage your workflow. I've been saying this since way back in the early 2010's...iPhones are for folks that don't really use their devices and just need quick access to stuff in a pinch or on the go and are therefore really overpriced status pieces. Folks that use their devices like a handheld computer go for Android.

Apr 17, 2022
I'm not an iOS user but to be fair both platforms I think are good and comparable in many ways. I used to be a Samsung user but I have had Pixel 1,3 and 5 phones. Pixel phones are not bloated with all the useless software Samsung permanently installs on their phone. My Pixel 5 runs great and doesn't even have a top of the line cpu. Fingerprint reader works great.

Now for the Android issues.
  1. Google needs to provide more years of security updates. Trashing a phone after 3 years is unacceptable.
  2. The iMessage Apple proprietary issue is in my opinion the number 1 reason users pick iOS. Hopefully google can compete one day.

Reactions: CajunMoses

Zero-0

Prominent
Apr 17, 2022
A lot of these problems sound like hardware issues, not OS issues, so to blame and shun (only word I could think of for it lol) Android for it and praise Apple is odd. I've never experienced these issues on any Android phone I've ever owned; LG, Pixel, ZTE, Sidekick, none of them. Samsungs are probably the worst Android phones I've ever owned, granted the last one I had was a Galaxy S2. Hated the UI and all the bugs. But, I'd never go to an iPhone, for a litany of reasons.

They are way too overpriced; you could buy a gaming PC or two game consoles at the price of an iPhone. I'm not paying $1200+ for anything, much less a phone. After taking your entire paycheck, they then scam you by giving you a phone that'll easily break or shatter and throttling your phone as soon as the new one comes out so that you have to replace it, quite frequently, or walk around with a broken phone forever. I really can't stand their business practices. And the UI is frustratingly awful, so to say that Android is over-complicated and isn't as "user-friendly" as Apple's OS, when Android is used on a much wider-scale, by all kinds of people, is just blatantly untrue and the exact opposite of reality; iOS is annoying and overcomplicated in so many ways, just downloading apps from the store was a pain in the ass when my school gave us all iPads back in high school. You can do so much more with an Android phone than you can with an iPhone or iPad, which are extremely limited.

After having to switch from LGs (as they've recently left the phone market) to the Pixel 6, I can at least say I'm not going to be buying anything other than Pixels from now on. But, I'd never give Apple a dime. They literally charge people to scam them. And get away with it.

Zero-0

Prominent
Apr 17, 2022
Google needs to provide more years of security updates. Trashing a phone after 3 years is unacceptable.
Why would you need to trash a phone after 3 years? Aren't updates automatically sent out to all Android phones? I kept my LGs for really long periods of time, they kept recieving updates and worked fine.

Apr 17, 2022
I've gone from Android to iOS (iPhone 6) back to Android. But I've owned an iPod ( the first color screen version) as well.

So it's been awhile but my iPod was always glitchy...wouldn't power off! Wouldn't save my star ratings. I swore off Apple products but then the iphone 6 came out and at the time I decided...hey why not.

I loved that phone but once again it got glitchy on me. I had a terrible time with customer service. So bad that I once again decided i was never gonna own Apple products again.

That was a long time ago and since then I've been happy with Motorola or Pixel phones. Considerably better than my last Samsung phone. But alas I broke down and bought Apple again. But no products...just their stock when the COVID-19 hit. Now I LOVE Apple again lol.

Reactions: Ritesh Tripathy
Apr 17, 2022
slide right on the Home Screen until you see App Library, tap on the search box, then you’ll see apps in alphabetical order

Joey121215

Prominent
Apr 17, 2022
In my 13 years with Android I've never once had to uninstall and reinstall it. Outside of the days where I rooted my phone I've also never experienced random reboots or had to restart my phone outside of an update. What kind of BS paid for article is this. There's also plenty of actual studies that show that iPhone has more app crashes than Android. You realize having a wallet case is something you always could have had too? Could this article be more obviously a paid advertisement. Either that or you've got blinders on, like the person who breaks up with their long term significant other and is convinced the person they hook up with at the club that night is gonna be their wife

Status
Not open for further replies.