I just switched from Windows to macOS for the first time — here’s what happened

Nov 8, 2021
Nice article, Tony. Years ago I moved from Apple to Windows because, while Windows isn't as smooth or "cool," it's always seemed like a better value. Considering functionality and longevity, given your recent experience, do you think it's worth it to pay more for the Apple product?

testertony

Estimable
Jan 6, 2018
I bought my first iMac in March 2021, even though I owned iPhone and iPad for years. I am convinced that the price difference was worth it so far.

Nov 8, 2021
I am a life long Mac user and am saying goodbye to its toxic anti-customer walled garden. So there’s a warm spot where I was. Enjoy your endless new bugs with every forced update, disappearing purchases and incompatibility with just about everything else.

Nov 9, 2021
I am not too sure the author is unbiased... It didn't sound like an honest article comparing the two experiences and the pros and cons.

I am also a life long Windows user. A bit back, I had a week with a Mac. Honest to goodness, at first, I was excited, but after a few hours I could not wait to go back to my Surface laptop. Even the hardware was questionable. What is up with that cutout with sharp corners on the bottom half of the laptop? It kept cutting into my wrists while typing. Why is there no double-tap function on the trackpad? Where is the Backspace key? How is that not there??? That I found incomprehensible. What am I missing here? To top it up, I spent days afterward deleting these files that Mac OS had sprinkled everywhere in my folders as well as all shared folders I had accessed! I don't remember allowing it to do that.

BTW, this being my work laptop, I do not game on it (that in itself is an extreme no no...), but even then I would not go the Mac way. My IT has given me the option for either, but no thanks. Any thoughts of wanting a Mac got flushed down the sink after that week. Having said all that, I am always open. Maybe I'll try in a couple of years. Maybe.