I know it’s time for an upgrade but I just can’t let go of my old OnePlus phone

tsytsa

Honorable
Jun 22, 2017
I've got the 7t Pro McLaren as well. Very hard to get replace for exactly that reason, no notch for front camera and no spying through it either. I'll probably never get rid of it but I do need a new phone that doesn't glitch

Feb 13, 2023
I was in the exact same Situation like you a few weeks ago. Had my Nebula Blue 7 Pro quite a while and didn't want to upgrade cause every newer Phone with a notch or punch hole would feel like a downgrade.

Still had to do it because the battery didn't even last a single day anymore and the USB Port would disconnect itself over and over again.

Switched to a Google Pixel 7 Pro and gotta say I don't regret it. It feels way faster, the speakers are better and the camera jump for me is insane, especially in low light. Didn't realize they got this much better.

And the best part for me: The punch hole camera doesn't bother me nearly as much as I feared it would.

Feb 13, 2023
I have had my OnePlus 7 T pro McLaren edition since it was brand new January- February 2020 right after it came out. It is still my daily phone. I work in the Construction field and it is almost always in my pocket! So it has had some abuse over the years but I only have some small scratches on the screen and always had a case on it. I won't get another phone until these under display cameras come around or some company makes another pop up camera. I just don't understand why more companies wouldn't copy this design! For me it's perfect! My phone still works exactly like the day I bought it. Maybe a little slower but still smooth as hell and the 5 g still works even though it was the first generation still works flawlessly.

Reactions: mnordlund
Feb 13, 2023
I have "upgraded" but kept my OnePlus 7 pro for lounging around the house (I find I don't use my phone often enough outside to be bothered much by the hole punch)

Pixel Experience is the ROM I usually stick with because Google infrastructure. Otherwise I recommend LineageOS because it is also clean stable and up to date. Or EvolutionX if you like to show off a little or like the extra flair

pbergonzi

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2014
Thanks for the timely article @Anthony Spadafora.
Our OP7TPM's were stunning phones, are still great, and there's really no beating that design on the back cover.
One can always get the battery replaced if one must.

My OnePlus 7T Pro 5G McLaren has reached its end of life but I can’t come to grips with using a phone with a notch after being spoiled by its pop-up selfie camera.

I know it’s time for an upgrade but I just can’t let go of my old OnePlus phone : Read more

I suggest everyone here follow @WHTZMBE link to the article containing the "SUBMIT THIS FORM", and fill it in.
https://forms.office.com/pages/resp...ZcWh2WDVUQ1NMTkpJRzFHT0FYOENXQTA2OUdSS1I2Ui4u

Also, there is interest and discussion at
https://community.t-mobile.com/android-9/android-12-update-for-oneplus-7t-pro-5g-mclaren-40913

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2023
I have had my OnePlus 7 T pro McLaren edition since it was brand new January- February 2020 right after it came out. It is still my daily phone. I work in the Construction field and it is almost always in my pocket! So it has had some abuse over the years but I only have some small scratches on the screen and always had a case on it. I won't get another phone until these under display cameras come around or some company makes another pop up camera. I just don't understand why more companies wouldn't copy this design! For me it's perfect! My phone still works exactly like the day I bought it. Maybe a little slower but still smooth as hell and the 5 g still works even though it was the first generation still works flawlessly.
I couldn't agree more. I'm holding onto my 7 Pro until it works no more! The punch hole is DEFINITELY a downgrade.

Feb 13, 2023
Your USB C connector has almost certainly got fluff in it.
Cut up a plastic blister pack to form a shard to scrape out the lint which has compacted at the bottom (bottom surface usually is shiny metal).
This lint stops the connector going in all the way. Some people use a safety pin if is really compacted - but obviously then need to be careful not to short the connectors.
5 very satisfying minutes will give you a connection as tight as new.

Feb 13, 2023
I'm the same as well can't give up my One Plus 7 Pro, it's too good to let go and upgrade to a phone with a notch or punch hole selfie camera is out of the question until One Plus decided to make another phone down the line then I will upgrade to that somewhat of a dream phone from them again.
The whole no notch no punch hole selfie camera on the One Plus 7 Pro is the best! While it doesn't have 5g or have the latest camera it's still the best Full screen phone out there that's cheap, but since it's running on old security and old Android 11 it's time to upgrade and since the only Option for a notchless and no punch hole camera is a Gaming Phone it has all the features that a One Plus 7pro has no Notch no Punch hole camera, A Gaming Phone has the latest Chip and more ram and gigs on a phone but it's expensive to get,but there's is a cheaper older Gaming Phone that's has the same price as a 7pro, so I rather get a gaming phone with no front selfie camera and it's notchless, regardless I am going to use this phone until I get the phone I want.

Feb 14, 2023
I went through this SAME dilemma last week. I decided to pull the trigger and upgrade my OnePlus 7 Pro to Lineage OS 20 (Android 13). This is a gamechanging upgrade. The smoothness and speed of the phone is DRAMATICALLY better. So far, the only app out of the 200 I have installed that isn't working is Google Pay for NFC card payments. Anyone on the fence should absolutely try this upgrade - it breathed new life into this amazing piece of hardware!

Feb 16, 2023
For those wondering what a good upgrade path is. I went through several phones trying to find out. And here are my findings.

No notch: Asus zenfone flip 8.

It's your ONLY option for no notch and an upgraded cpu... Give it a skip. They never made a flip 9 so it's 2 years old. It feels like a budget plastic toy compared to the sleek curves and refined OS of the OP7P. It was disappointing to use and the cameras are a bit naff.

Samsung: S22+

Meh. Nothing special. Feels a bit chunky with it's flatter sides. Pretty thick actually. The cameras and speed are top notch. If only there was a phone that married all this together...

Winner: Oppo find X5 pro

Looks stunning (not as good as my gold OP7P or mclaren 7TP) and it has everything you'd miss from the oneplus. Oppo have fully integrated a lot of the OP design and oxygenOS into the high end oppo phones now. So this is the natural progression.

Cameras are class leading.

Screen is lovely. (if slightly thinner, but taller, which is annoying and requires tinkering)

One thing you'll want to do is hop into developer settings and speed up all animations (0.5x) to make it as snappy as the OP7P and up the draw width to 480 as all text is too big and ruins apps.

Big recommend along with its big 5000mah battery not the fake 4000mah (they all rated 3800mah new) of the oneplus phone.

Reactions: mtolmachev
Feb 17, 2023
I loved my 7 pro and literally got my 11 today. I do not regret it. The cam is minimal but also was a large concern. I only upgraded because the pop up crapped out I have some other nits to pick but it's sleek and smooth. It's slightly larger screen makes up for the little dot that's slightly larger than the time

Reactions: mtolmachev
Feb 14, 2023
I loved my OP7 Pro so much that I bought it on the first week of release, and I haven't changed it in three years. But then I decided to try out the 9 Pro – it always overheated in sunny weather, so I sold it quickly.

Next, I bought a Pixel 6 Pro. It has a nice camera and OS experience, but the charging speed is a bit slow. It's just okay.

I regret selling my OP7 Pro, which was in pristine condition, with a carbon case and a brand new original battery. I thought I should move on and let go of the past. Now I really miss it and I'm considering buying a new OP7 Pro.