I liked the Fire TV Stick 4K Max, but here's why I ditched it

theronaldoblack

Honorable
Aug 22, 2017
I have used both the Roku and Firestick, as well as HTPC. I prefer the ease of use with the Firestick 4k and TVs. Any form of navigation quickly takes you where you wants to go with voice control, or simply by scrolling down. With prime, and IMDB tv you have tons of shows to watch. That replaces much of the above screen you posted.

Using voice to open any app your using or show is very easy and responsive. I also like that you can side load tons of apps from android. Plex, a popular streaming content app, works very well with Firestick at many different resolutions.

The sound may not be perfect or at the level of Atmos, you can at least tinker with the Fire OS to make it work for you. And that is really nice. I prefer my HTPC for high-end uses, but everything else, the firestick, Firetv OS works very well for me.

10basetom

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
I've stuck with the Fire TV Stick 4K simply because it's the cheapest streaming stick by a reputed company that let's you sideload apps. Yes, the home screen is crowded and sluggish (somewhat alleviated by disabling autoplay), but it doesn't bother me because I spend 99% of the time in the apps where I watch my shows.

Jun 21, 2022
I dont have any Buffering issues. I created an account on Tom's guide just to comment on this. The reviewer is horrible and sounds like he's paid for this review.... From cable company's or something Clearly something is up with his router/network. Sheesh, horrible review on this. Firestick 4K works fantastic. Multiple Devices with Buffering issues... yea lets blame streaming sticks... Probably on 15mbs DSL speed using a 4 year old router or older.

Jun 21, 2022
Sounds like the reviewer probably has sub-par internet service - local house or ISP.

Jun 23, 2022
Im not sure what fire stick I have since my remote doesn't look like that but I don't ever have any problems whether it be buffering or anything else. I don't use live cable apps since my house also has cable but I couldn't be any more happy with the firestick

Jun 23, 2022
I dont have any Buffering issues. I created an account on Tom's guide just to comment on this. The reviewer is horrible and sounds like he's paid for this review.... From cable company's or something Clearly something is up with his router/network. Sheesh, horrible review on this. Firestick 4K works fantastic. Multiple Devices with Buffering issues... yea lets blame streaming sticks... Probably on 15mbs DSL speed using a 4 year old router or older.
I did the same thing, created an account just to comment on the OP

Jun 23, 2022
That's gotta be an issue with your personal Internet. I have been using the 4k since December. I am currently watching popcorn planer do a live stream and no issues. I'm actually nowhere near my wifi router and I stream everything. I have 6 TV sticks in my house all of which stream. There are usually at least, 3 of them going at a time and none of them buffer ever. In fact I just ran a speed test for the heck of it, I'm running at 134 per second right now. I personally don't care for sling, I jail broke my main 4 k and run nova mainly along with Hulu and YouTube. I have 0 issues as long as I occasionally check the device for updates.

Jun 25, 2022
No problems with buffering but the HDMI & Bluetooth audio doesn't stay synced to the video. There is an adjustment screen to adjust this but it is difficult to use and it doesn't 'stick'. You have separate adjustments but persistence is bad.

Jun 27, 2022
Where do you find these horrible reviewers? Supposed to be a tech site but instead of comparing tech the firestick is too hard and too confusing for the reviewer? Go back to doing top 10 product blogs or wherever you came from.