I lost my Wordle streak without losing or missing a game — here's what happened

Aug 9, 2023
This has inexplicably occured to me several times, but I have not gone away anywhere since long before Wordle existed. Sometimes I use a VPN indicating that I'm at a different location though, so now I wonder if that's why it happens. Weird. And very frustrating!

Aug 27, 2023
This must have happened a couple of days ago. Like others I am fairly sure I have not missed a day. My longest streak is over 400 and I have only lost a couple of times at the start in well over 500 games. It is unlikely to be a time shift problem although I do travel. The thing that happened two days ago is I accepted an update on my Samsung phone. Not a big problem but annoying.

Sep 1, 2023
My streak reset 6 days ago. The start page had a new banner at the bottom. Coincidence?

Aug 27, 2023
Interesting. My partner also lost her run at the same time. Maybe we forgot to do it while we were away. But could be an error from NY Times

Sep 9, 2023
Wordle is programmed to punish time travelers. Traveling forward in time is fine, but traveling backward across date lines is not. If you log on to Wordle today, but Wordle thinks you've already been there tomorrow, it wipes out both days' scores and with it your streak. That's probably why the author lost her streak while traveling from the UK to the US but not vice-versa. And it's definitely why I lost my own streak today (not traveling, just playing with local time zone settings on my home computer).

Aug 27, 2023
Wordle is programmed to punish time travelers. Traveling forward in time is fine, but traveling backward across date lines is not. If you log on to Wordle today, but Wordle thinks you've already been there tomorrow, it wipes out both days' scores and with it your streak. That's probably why the author lost her streak while traveling from the UK to the US but not vice-versa. And it's definitely why I lost my own streak today (not traveling, just playing with local time zone settings on my home computer).

You could be right. Maybe we did Wordle too early on 25 August as we are 7 hours ahead. But it seems the program resets according to local time. However, I do not remember the word for that day so maybe we did not do it (2 separate games). So I reverted back with my phone and did the word for that day. Someone said that preserves the sequence. But when I went back to today, normal time, I had to re-do today's word. Then it set my run back at one, added two games to my total but left the longest run at 421. It read 1 and 421 whereas it should have reverted back to 16 and 421. In fact it should be 437 and 437