I love my gas range but this portable induction cooktop might have converted me — here's 5 reasons why

John Fox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2014
Your experience is far different from ours. During a kitchen remodel, we cooked using a well recommended induction cooktop and a cheap microwave oven. We got it to help decide between gas and induction, and it convinced us to buy a gas range. Half of our pans wouldn't work. Our iron skillet starting sticking for the first time in a decade or more and took forever to come up to temp. We later learned that it was because most induction burners and cooktops have 9 inch burners, and in order to get 12 inch burner induction cooktop we have to spend thousands of dollars more than a gas cooktop. Plus we would have to rewire the outlet because they require higher amperage service. It was cheaper to install a propane tank than do the electrical work.

We stuck with gas and have loved it. We thought we'd use the burner for parties and stuff but it just gathers dust. We did splurge and bought a gas cooktop with a forced air wok burner, something you can't get on an induction stove.

The other advantage fanatics used to describe induction is they boil water faster, which is about the lamest reason ever. We know how to plan our cooking and boil times have never been an issue.

Plus we bought an inexpensive electric kettle to boil water for things like sweet tea. Overall, we saved thousands over buying an induction and couldn't be happier.

Jul 24, 2024
I just looked it up to see how much one would cost and true to Smeg pricing, the cost for a one burner induction burner is as outrageous as expected. I do realize that Smeg is considered a high end brand but c'mon, who spends that on one burner, seriously?

Fox Tread3

Prominent
Jun 19, 2023
I've been using a portable induction cooktop for several years now. It does everything I need it to do EXCEPT cook two dishes at the same time.

-Wolf sends
July 24, 2024 - I hope that it is okay to mention brand names here. I have a wonderful duxtop multi-plate Induction appliance, and have used it for about a year. I'm extremely happy with it. It was under $300.00, had a number of convenient controls, and I think attractive design. The model in question is larger and two of them could take up the burner surface of a four burner electric or gas stove. However, it is light enough to be stored away in a reasonable sized cabinet if necessary. I suggest that you do an search online for the company and its inventory. Good luck and stay well.

Fox Tread3

Prominent
Jun 19, 2023
I just looked it up to see how much one would cost and true to Smeg pricing, the cost for a one burner induction burner is as outrageous as expected. I do realize that Smeg is considered a high end brand but c'mon, who spends that on one burner, seriously?
July 24, 2024 - I hope that it is okay to mention brand names here. I have a wonderful duxtop multi-plate Induction appliance, and have used it for about a year. I'm extremely happy with it. It was under $300.00, had a number of convenient controls, and I think attractive design. The model in question is larger and two of them could take up the burner surface of a four burner electric or gas stove. However, it is light enough to be stored away in a reasonable sized cabinet if necessary. I suggest that you do an search online for the company and its inventory. Good luck and stay well.

Reactions: hcubed
Sep 10, 2024
What I don't see mentioned by the reviewer is that the induction cooktop they used is a European market 220v model which is in no way comparable to an American market 110 volt model. The performance of the European model will literally trounce the lower voltage American model, no matter what Smeg will say otherwise. It's simply impossible to get comparable performance unless Smeg can magically break the laws of physics.

I literally installed a Gaggenau built in deep fryer that runs on 240 volts because 120 volt countertop deep fryers are garbage compared to the 240 volt commercial fryers used in every American restaurant kitchen. Instead of greasy and gummy results my Waring Pro countertop model was getting due to design limitations that are absolutely no fault of Waring's, the 240 volt Gaggenau easily maintains temperature even when using frozen prepared food. It also has a robust drain valve in the bottom making oil changes a breeze. Gallon in, and to change, sumply put the drain hose into the empty oil container, open the valve, fill the container and then take the used oil to the local solid waste transfer station and recycle it FOR FREE.

Last edited: