I need a streaming media player with USB modem support

dryphi

Honorable
Jun 4, 2013
I would like to buy a streaming media player for my girlfriend to watch Netflix. I am a fan of the WDTV and Roku series of devices. But here's the problem: she doesn't have WiFi, or even an ISP. Instead she connects to the web using a Sprint 3G/4G USB Modem.
I am not aware of any media streaming devices with USB support for anything other than accessing media or a limited set of WiFi dongles. Hence I was considering going with a Linux stick instead.

Does anyone know of a streaming media player with USB modem support?
Alternatively, can you recommend a Linux mini PC that will be good for streaming video?

Recycled

Honorable
Oct 31, 2013
There are no such devices that I am aware of.

However, 3g and 4g hotspots are very common, as are HDMPs that will connect to WiFi.

Your problem will be that bandwidth on a 3g or 4g device can be very expensive. In my experience, "unlimited" plans are not truly unlimited.

dryphi

Honorable
Jun 4, 2013

Thank you for your input. I am aware of the limitations of the technology. However my girlfriend has the Sprint 3G/4G USB Modem from her work. Hence she does not pay for internet (or cable TV) at home.

I came across this device:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006DEBXD0/
Does anyone know for sure if that router (or a similar one) will work with the Sprint 250U 3G/4G USB Modem by Sierra Wireless?

Recycled

Honorable
Oct 31, 2013
I am not sure about that modem...

If You are determined to use a Sprint/Sierra modem, I would use an old laptop. Connect to the Internet via the Sprint/Sierra modem, and offer a Wi-Fi hotspot via the laptop's Wi-Fi.

Not all versions of Windows can offer a hotspot, so You will have to do a little research here.

mathkor89

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014
the boxes box has usb support and plays (supposedly almost any file format, and has a full qwerty keyboard on the back of the remote), the WD TV Live media streamer is a little cheaper but does not play mp4.
but take my advice with a grain of salt since I don't own either devices for now.