Solved! I need help finding a good laptop.

theonerm2

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
I'm looking for one around $300 to $400. I want a 6 or more hour battery life and a 15 inch screen. Preferably 8GB of RAM. The more battery life the better. I'd like an SSD but it's not a requirement because I have an extra 2.5 inch SSD anyway. Condition can be used, new, open box, or refurbished just as long as it's in good condition. I don't need it to be able to game. I can just stream games from my desktop anyway. The OS should be Windows 10. I'd prefer 1080p resolution but 1366x768 is ok. Also I live in the US.

Solution

Specs look good. Hope it's reliable.

*No matter which CPU you get, I strongly recommend you make a backup IMAGE of the Windows drive to a USB drive.

It's pretty easy now to install Windows 10 if you say have to replace a failed HDD (or it's severely corrupted with virus etc) but I'd still recommend AFTER you get it all setup with programs, e-mail setup etc you make a backup then periodically make a new one.

Then you can just RESTORE the backup if something...
I'd avoid used. $300 to $400 is on the low-end so I'd just go to BESTBUY (or similar store, preferably one you can get too easily in case of problems) and see what they have since you want a Warranty.

SSD is not going to be an option. I'll have a quick look at BestBuy to see what they have.

Specs look good. Hope it's reliable.

*No matter which CPU you get, I strongly recommend you make a backup IMAGE of the Windows drive to a USB drive.

It's pretty easy now to install Windows 10 if you say have to replace a failed HDD (or it's severely corrupted with virus etc) but I'd still recommend AFTER you get it all setup with programs, e-mail setup etc you make a backup then periodically make a new one.

Then you can just RESTORE the backup if something goes wrong. Can use Acronis True Image Free (WD) or Seagate DiscWizard, or similar tool depending on the HDD.

Solution