I need help with a 'broken' speaker

Jun 8, 2018
Dear users,

Last year my dad passed away and I inherited his amplifier (Denon AVR-1801) and speakers.(Magnat Collection 99). A week ago I tried connecting my electric guitar to the amplifier to see how it sounded, but when I finished playing I accidentally stood on my distortion pedal, which had the gain knob turned way up. Needless to say, my speakers received an unhealthy blast and I was very relieved to hear that they where still working.

Just now I was listening to music though, and I noticed that one of my speakers sounded a bit dull. After some tweaking with my phone's EQ I have come to the conclusion that it's the result of the 'pedalblast', it's like it blew out some of the mid to high tones. Now my question is if anyone knows what could've caused this (maybe like what part broke or shook loose) and if it even can be fixed.

Maybe important detail: the 13-16k tones are mainly displayed via a small ball on the top of the speaker (
magnat-de-bolletjes-yes.jpg
). The one on the speaker I'm worried about almost doesn't emit sound anymore, but it's not the only missing sound though.

I am very attached to this gear so I really hope someone can help me.

Thank you in advance!

Solution
Speakers for reproducing recordings don't survive having instruments played on them. They can also be damaged with the use of too much EQ.
If there isn't a fuse it sounds like you blew the tweeter at the very least. You might find a used tweeter online but Magnat has been out of business for quite a while so not likely to find a new one.
Speakers for reproducing recordings don't survive having instruments played on them. They can also be damaged with the use of too much EQ.
If there isn't a fuse it sounds like you blew the tweeter at the very least. You might find a used tweeter online but Magnat has been out of business for quite a while so not likely to find a new one.

Solution