Solved! I need help with a gateway tower. I need help with error 'Boot configuration Data file is missing some required information

Jun 8, 2021
The library I volunteer that is starting to returning to normal operating status, The Gateway has been off for more then a year. The discs that come with the computer are not to be found. Error reads " Boot Configuration Data file is missing some required information.' File: /BCD Error code 0xc0000034. Can't even get to the gateway screen. This is the only gateway we have. It runs windows 10. And was bought over 15 years ago. We use it to run a slideshow of upcoming events. We have no spending money to buy a replacement disc or tower. Can I make a boot disc form a Dell? We are barely paying overhead right now. Any suggestions?

Solution
I would first make an installation media for Windows 10 from the MS web site. Use another PC and do this by following the steps at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10). Select the option to make media for another computer. You will need to choose a media type that is bootable on your old Gateway. It may be that a computer that old won't boot from a USB (I don't recall when that started to be an option but it has been years). Make sure you know how to tell your Gateway to boot from an external media.

Once you can boot, follow the instructions at...
I would first make an installation media for Windows 10 from the MS web site. Use another PC and do this by following the steps at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10). Select the option to make media for another computer. You will need to choose a media type that is bootable on your old Gateway. It may be that a computer that old won't boot from a USB (I don't recall when that started to be an option but it has been years). Make sure you know how to tell your Gateway to boot from an external media.

Once you can boot, follow the instructions at https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...c0000034/f61d9d10-2fc2-4be0-a9c3-984a7b984ba4.

There are directions here than may address your issue. The next step would be to try a reinstall, I'm surprised Win10 runs on a machine that old!

Solution

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The library I volunteer that is starting to returning to normal operating status, The Gateway has been off for more then a year. The discs that come with the computer are not to be found. Error reads " Boot Configuration Data file is missing some required information.' File: /BCD Error code 0xc0000034. Can't even get to the gateway screen. This is the only gateway we have. It runs windows 10. And was bought over 15 years ago. We use it to run a slideshow of upcoming events. We have no spending money to buy a replacement disc or tower. Can I make a boot disc form a Dell? We are barely paying overhead right now. Any suggestions?
This old rig likely needs a new motherboard battery and a reset of the BIOS. When the proper boot device is selected, it may actually start.

Can you access the BIOS?