Solved! I need Help!

Samanthacasey88

Prominent
May 20, 2017
Help! I just got a computer about 4 months ago. Last night I decided to reformat my computer, and when I came home, it says 'an operating system wasn't found. Try disconnecting any drives that don't contain an operating system.' I tried to go into it to change the boot order to run my CD drive, and that's when I found out that all of my stuff is in parentheses and states 'A device that's enclosed in parentheses has been disabled in the corresponding type menu' also, the cd drive is not showing ups Then, when I try to read do the boot order by pressing f12, it comes up that 'No bootable device, press any key to reset'

Here are my computer settings.
CyberPower PC AMD 8-Core FX-8320 Vishera Processor with AMD Radeon R7 250 dedicated graphics Ensures powerful performance. 16GB DDR3 SDRAM For multitasking power. Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support Records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media. 8MB L2 cache memory For efficient system processing. 2TB Serial ATA III hard drive (7200 rpm) Offers spacious storage and fast read/write times. AMD Radeon R7 250 graphics Feature 2GB dedicated video memory for lush images with vivid detail. HDMI output enables simple connection to an HDTV or other high-definition display. 8 high-speed USB 2.0 ports For fast digital data transfer and easy peripheral connectivity. Built-in 10/100/1000 Ethernet LAN Enables quick and easy wired Web connection. Microsoft 8.1 64-bit operating system preinstalled Provides a stable platform for word processing, Web navigation, gaming, media storage and more.

Solution
You could try the F8 key in the BIOS to "Load Fail-safe Defaults". If that doesn't get the DVD drive or USB port to show up in boot options, you might try F6 "Optimized Defaults" .

Herc08

Respectable
Aug 6, 2016
Did you try and reconnect your drive that does have the OS on it? Also, do you have Windows media you can use to re-install Windows? Maybe the reformat didn't go so well. I would just re-install Windows from it, and call it a day.

How did you reformat it?

Samanthacasey88

Prominent
May 20, 2017
Every time I start my computer it just says an operating system wasn't found, and restarts. Then it pops up again. I reformatted it through recovery, where it says remove everything.

Herc08

Respectable
Aug 6, 2016

Again, you probably deleted everything, including the partition needed to reset Windows. Do you have a USB or DVD drive that has Windows on it?

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
It sounds like maybe your DVD-Rom containing the OS install files is bad. Take it out of the cd drive and inspect it for bad scratches or cracks. If it is bad, you can download (on a different computer), the Media Creation Tool and follow the instructions on Microsoft's website to use the Tool to create Windows installation media for the exact same version of Windows 8.1 64 bit you previously had (Home or Pro, etc.). If you suspect your CD drive is bad, you can also use a EMPTY USB flash drive to create the Windows installation media.

Herc08

Respectable
Aug 6, 2016
Do you have another computer to test the USB on? Try that first. Also when you change the boot option to USB, is the brand of the USB showing up? If the front USB port doesn't work, try the back one.

Herc08

Respectable
Aug 6, 2016

Did you set up a password on your drive? Can you go into "Repair windows" in the media and open up command prompt and see if you can use Diskpart to see the hard drives