I need severe help in finding Computer speakers (2.1) - Hate heavy bass.

Truenucksfan

Estimable
Feb 6, 2015
Hey guys, I need some urgent help.

I wanna buy 2.1 Speakers, I am NOT a bass head, I have brought back so many speakers already because the base is just so overpowering.

I got z313 which had good highs, but awful mids which made me bring back.

I had z535 Logitech also, and the base nearly made me fall out of my chair.

Now I am looking, I can spend up to 200$ after tax. Online or in store.

HELP!. The speakers need to have good mids/lows.

Truenucksfan

Estimable
Feb 6, 2015
I tried, but then the quality of the speakers get affected. For example I turned down the base of the z535 and they sounded like normal 30$ speakers.

I want the quality of 150+ priced speakers, but without the extreme bass.

Maybe 2.0 is a better option?

bigpinkdragon286

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2012
Are you turning down the bass with an equalizer in the computer, or using a dial on the speakers? I was recommending using an equalizer on the computer to just turn down the offensive frequencies. Some sound devices have that ability built into their driver software.

Zorba Greekthe

Estimable
Oct 8, 2014
Self-powered 2.0 studio monitors = the way to go, the mids are in a whole other galaxy than ANY 2.1 computer speaker system.

I highly recommend the M-Audio AV40 or Mackie CR4, both are $150 on Amazon.

ien2222

Distinguished
I'll toss in the Swan M10's. Excellent speakers at that price point, right up with the M-Audio and Mackie suggestion above (even though it's a 2.1 :D).

I'd actually take the M10's over the other two if you have the room for the sub on your desk. If you don't then I'd probably go with the M-Audio instead.

You could also go with pair of Micca MB42x's with something like a t-amp.

Zorba Greekthe

Estimable
Oct 8, 2014
Using a T-amp is a good idea, especially if you live in a major city where people will occasionally sell good speakers really cheap on Craigslist...for instance, I've been sorely tempted by a pair of Polk RTi6 for $100, which combined with a T-amp would sound better than any computer speakers you can find.

PS. If you do buy a 2.1 system, make sure that the subwoofer has a volume control independent of the satellite speakers' volume, because 9 times out of 10 those subs are both sloppy and boomy while overpowering the anemic 2-3" drivers in the sats.