I purchased a I VIEW Laptop i896QW 8.95" detachable Touchscreen around December 24th -31st .... ordered it from Wal-Mart ,wel

Jul 17, 2018
Laptop has a detachable Touchscreen and the legs or arms that guide the top to the keyboard fell off.... Will Wal-Mart give me another one or the manufacturer fix it or am I screwed...What happened to the CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT

canadianvice

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2012

Having worked retail, the customer rarely is. I'm sorry, but stores get blamed for far more than is fairly their burden to bear. However, I'm not here to lecture, so with my insider perspective (I worked as a technician at Staples for 5 years and quit only recently) I am going to try and help you through getting a positive service outcome. Please remember that while you may be angry this has happened, it was not deliberate, and getting angry at anyone along the chain is not likely to improve your chances of getting a positive outcome. Further, it is unlikely anyone you have access to be angry at had anything to do with what has happened - they take enough flak from the higher-ups, trust me on this.

Now, in regard to getting resolution, you're far outside of any return or warranty you are likely to have from Wal-Mart. Don't bother them, they'll tell you to go away and with full justification. They only sell the item, they quality check 6 at the factory, decide it's ok, and from there they are buying blind (this is why they have a return policy, to prevent outright lemons with the hope that if nothing crops up in that time, it's not a dead-on-arrival unit). Anything that's not DOA is usually the responsibility of the manufacturer - after all, they made it, they're the ones "promising" its quality to a buyer. You can always ask really nicely at Walmart if they'll do anything for you, but please understand that this far out it's extremely unlikely.

The responsibility for such problems lays with the manufacturer, in which case, that brings me to part two. Contact the manufacturer for support, as you are still within your (minimally, in most cases) one year manufacturer warranty. At that point - it lies with them to do right by you, if they feel inclined to do so. They may require you send it to their service center.

If they do, something you can try is going to a local Best Buy or Staples and asking if they are able to offer "manufacturer facilitation" for a laptop covered under the manufacturer warranty - make sure you use those terms to avoid confusion, and if they do, you should not have to lay money down for this. This was something we (when I worked at Staples as the technician) could do for some manufacturers we had good relationships with, as we just got paid in lieu of their own warranty guys. Don't demand it though, they may not offer it. It's a potential vector to save on the shipping costs though and potentially worth exploring.

Please note: If you are obliged to send it to a warranty center, IN ANY CAPACITY, ensure that you back your data up first. I know it seems tangential, but irregardless of the repair performed, most warranty centers will wipe your hard drive totally clean. This is to ensure that there is no lasting software trouble they can be blamed for, but they will wipe it, and you will not be warned in advance (well, in the contract, but nobody reads those). So back up your data first before undertaking any servicing of the unit.

Please note this is from a North American perspective. Depending on your jurisdiction you may have other remedies or applicable statues available to take advantage of.

If the manufacturer does not cooperate, at this point, about the only option you have left is to make a bit of a stink on social media. Post on their FB, Twitter, or similar pages, and explain calmly what has happened and why you are dissatisfied. They may offer to private message you, this is solely to protect your privacy, so please humour them. If they do not respond to your satisfaction, update your post.

It may be worth writing Walmart's Office of the President or similar ombudsman. They can often be very liberal in regards to what they compensate people for, but this one is the biggest stretch so I'd suggest trying it last.

If all of this has failed to pan out, I'm very sorry, but I don't expect you'll be getting resolution. At that point, do what you like, but please be mindful of who you involve - again, many of the people who take the flak are not the ones who caused this or create the policies that impact it. Additionally, being mean to them is not going to get you anywhere. I'll move heaven and earth for someone who's pleasant to me, but trust me, nobody wants to help someone who isn't being reasonable or nice, and contrary to common belief - the managers do not have such desperation for customers that they're above cutting one loose if they become a problem.

The key in all of this is to be reasonable and adult about it. There's a major power disparity going on, and if you decide to be unacceptably problematic, they will cut you loose, and you will hit a hard wall at that point. Be nice, articulate, and reasonable, and you're going to get much further than if you did otherwise.