I review phones for a living and I’m not impressed by the Google Pixel Fold

May 20, 2023
While I value your opinion, there is a MAJOR difference between being a "phone reviewer" and a long-term foldable user (in the US). Many of us Samsung Fold users have dreamed of a much more usable front screen, flagship style cameras, and better zoom, in a much thinner, more pocketable device. Not to mention the Pixel software experience. For those purposes, Google knocked it out of the park, Sir. They are going square after that target audience (current foldable users) first and giving us $900 trade credit to upgrade. If the form factor pans put, we should see a Pro and "a" model in the future. Sorry you're not impressed, but for many of us, this is exactly what we've been waiting for!

Last edited:
May 20, 2023
While I value your opinion, there is a MAJOR difference between being a "phone reviewer" and a long-term foldable user (in the US). Many of us Samsung Fold users have dreamed of a much more usable front screen, flagship style cameras, and better zoom, in a much thinner, more pocketable device. Not to mention the Pixel software experience. For those purposes, Google knocked it out of the park, Sir. They are going square after that target audience (current foldable users) first and giving us $900 trade credit to upgrade. If the form factor pans put, we should see a Pro and "a" model in the future. Sorry you're not impressed, but for many of us, this is exactly what we've been waiting for!
They really did knock it out of the park

Reactions: SammyGeek
May 20, 2023
For sure! It was daring to create a new form factor in the US market. Some folks are really downplaying the technology that went into creating such a thin & pocketable foldable. I'm trading in my Fold 4 for it, and pumped! However, I'm also a hard-core foldable fan. I see the excitement and innovation, where others slab phone users may not.
They really did knock it out of the park

Reactions: riverhead69
May 20, 2023
For sure! It was daring to create a new form factor in the US market. Some folks are really downplaying the technology that went into creating such a thin & pocketable foldable. I'm trading in my Fold 4 for it, and pumped! However, I'm also a hard-core foldable fan. I see the excitement and innovation, where others slab phone users may not.
Agree completely, can't imagine the amount of time and development to create the best foldable on their first try. Just hoping my future Pixel 8 will still be affordable now that it has such a fancy sibling lol

May 20, 2023
I bet they will play the price game on high-volume phones like the 8 and 8 Pro. That's been their jam and people love it. Bummer they didn't try to undercut Samsung on the Fold too. Maybe on the next version...

kkthebeast

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2015
I’m not too excited about the hardware itself, but I think the big takeaway from this is that Google is now investing in the foldable form factor. This will benefit everyone, including Samsung, by laying a more solid framework for better standards and app compatibility. While Google devices may become outdated quickly, Android itself always benefits from their involvement. That’s what I gathered from it.

May 20, 2023
I’m not too excited about the hardware itself, but I think the big takeaway from this is that Google is now investing in the foldable form factor. This will benefit everyone, including Samsung, by laying a more solid framework for better standards and app compatibility. While Google devices may become outdated quickly, Android itself always benefits from their involvement. That’s what I gathered from it.
Among the 3 of us we already have a better article

RG Geiger

Prominent
Apr 9, 2022
I value your first impressions and look forward to having my own when it arrives...next month? I paid the balance off for my fold3 the screen crease is cracked and lifted enough to allow dirt to enter at the edges but I love the form factor and while I'm all ready budgeted $50 a month to pay for it, now for a bit more each month I'll have a new phone which I hope can handle the Alaskan winter tempts better.

Silent _FK8

Commendable
Jun 19, 2020
@SammyGeek pretty much sums it up. Philip, do you even use the Fold 3 or Fold 4 daily? If you have, you will know that it is not a perfect experience. I have a Fold 3 and have had it since launch and my time with it is very much love-hate. Love the big screen, hate that it started peeling after a year. Love the practicallity of a front screen, hate that my thumbs can barely touch the edges with a case on while texting because of the stupid narrow screen. Love Google apps and features (lack there of on Samsung devices), HATE and I cant reiterate this more, but HATE Samsung's prioprietary software. Bixby? Really?? Who uses that crap anymore? Galaxy store?? Seriously? I have two phone apps, two messaging apps, two store apps, two internet apps, two gallery apps... Do I need to elaborate further? The newest annoyance to join the list is Samsung Push Services. Yep, Samsung is pushing advertisements to your phone with the newest One UI update. Luckily you can stop those notifications but who the hell thought that was a good idea at Samsung??

I really wanted to keep this short but this ended up being a rant. Put simply, I am a huge fan of the Pixel line up. My Pixel 4xl was an awesome phone and really miss those Pixel features (call screening... omg I miss that so much). So when Google announced the Pixel Fold, my ears stood up. Foldable phone with flagship cameras, more practical form factor, no bulging brick in my pocket, Pixel exclusive features, stockish Android and no prioprietary garbage unnecessarily consuming RAM resulting in a clean and simply user experience. That is worth the $1800... Where do I sign up?

May 26, 2023
Not impressed by any foldable. Would really rather single task on a phone and the few times I'm multitasking the current solution of a minimized window works fine. At the moment, all foldables are way too fragile and way too pricey.