I stopped watching She-Hulk — and it changes the way I think about the MCU

Sep 24, 2022
She-Hulk is the latest Marvel show on Disney Plus that has left me cold — so I'm switching up my approach to the MCU.

I stopped watching She-Hulk — and it changes the way I think about the MCU : Read more

The fourth-wall-breaking humor felt uninspired, and Walters’ ability to turn into a big green rage monster so far appears almost unnecessary to the story."

I mean that's what she-hulk does she breaks the fourth wall. Also how is it unnecessary the whole story is about Jennifer Walters dealing with being able to turn into a hulk and the attention it brings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sloth009

djcalligraphy

Prominent
Sep 24, 2022
I don't blame you... She-Hulk is insufferable to watch. It's honestly made me consider cancelling Disney Plus altogether. I'm going to give Marvel one more chance, but if their next MCU show is as bad as She-Hulk... I'm done!

Sep 25, 2022
Its super interesting how All the guys who made it a big deal to say they arent feeling shehulk and ms marvel look like the same guy. Im surprised you didnt pull the “she hulk said she doesnt like being catcalled but she twerks with meg the stallion” card, but at least you threw in the “i like black panther” card.

Reactions: Ingothnito
Sep 25, 2022
I think this is the best approach, and it makes sense. These are comic book shows, so take the comic book approach. The majority of comic book fans do not read every title. They may try a few of each and then settle on the ones they like the most, then read those.
Same with the programs.
As you've done, watch a couple as a tester, if it grabs you, fantastic, crack on with the rest, but if it doesn't, no bother, it's on to the next. No time wasted, but those who do enjoy it still get something for them.
Everyone wins

Sep 25, 2022
I think this is the best approach, and it makes sense. These are comic book shows, so take the comic book approach. The majority of comic book fans do not read every title. They may try a few of each and then settle on the ones they like the most, then read those.

Exactly this. It's one thing I haven't understood from people who talk about fatigue. In the comic space, fans know that it would be utterly impossible to stay on top of everything. I myself usually keep up, more or less, with core X-Men books and the Spider-fam. But I don't feel fatigued over not having the time to dive into the Young Avengers (for example).

It's totally fine to not watch some of the shows (or movies) if you aren't feeling them. The interconnected nature of the franchise is nice, but it's also done through Easter eggs that some YouTuber will gladly lay out for us before the next big release. For example, you may have been lost on Wanda's Multiverse of Madness arc if you didn't watch WandaVision, but the actual setup for her character (besides "had kids for a couple of days") was basically the last 20 seconds of the show.

Sep 25, 2022
Stop watching the TV shows on a weekly basis. Wait until the week of the last episode, then binge watch the series. I don't think it's the MCU being low quality as much as your ability to connect to something that happened weeks ago.

Secondly, the TV shows are genre shows. If you aren't the target audience, then it's harder to project yourself as the protagonist. It's fine to skip it and simply not say anything. Not all media is made exclusively for your demo, and all but one particular demographics seem to understand that.

Sep 25, 2022
Hmmmm, it's interesting to me that the 2 main shows you state not liking are the ones with female leads....

And the upcoming show Echo, is also based around a female lead and of course you don't want to see that one either. Just very curious to me. But maybe I'm grasping or just seeing a pattern.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2022
Wow a lot of interesting comments which are great for discussion!
So my take is that having read marvel books alot it's cool to see it come to life! With that being said no one person may like all of it. Marvel has done a good job with the selection of characters they have picked(The Eternals 🤔🤔).
So with that said pick and choose as you like but just know from some one who's been waiting to see jump to the screen it's been a rush! 😃😃😃

P. S. The Eternals was just a bit much to do and explain in the time it had to do it! 🤣

Sep 25, 2022
Hmmmm, it's interesting to me that the 2 main shows you state not liking are the ones with female leads....

And the upcoming show Echo, is also based around a female lead and of course you don't want to see that one either. Just very curious to me. But maybe I'm grasping or just seeing a pattern.

Definitely grasping - 2nd paragraph mentions getting fatigue from Hawkeye and Moon Knight. Whether or not you agree with the author's opinion, his criticism are valid and and on topic - there are quite a few comments who immediately find some anti-feminist angle, and there's nothing at all that indicates such...

Sep 25, 2022

Given that Moon Knight and Hawkeye were both mentioned in the very first paragraph, I'd definitely say you're grasping :)

Sep 25, 2022
I've actually been forcing myself to watch hoping something will get interesting. It's not gender thing because I'm female but it's due to the show being boring. Now some of the disney+ shows have been ok and good. I liked WandaVision and Ms Marvel. Others were alright. It's like Marvel isn't putting in much effort into some of these shows and just cranking them out regardless of quality. They need writers from Daredevil,Jessica Jones,or AOS.

Sep 25, 2022
Just wanted to jump in and toss my take out there, because I personally love She-Hulk.

It comes down to one core difference between myself and the author of the article- I don't mind that She-Hulk doesn't smash in any episode so far. Most of the court cases she's handled have had a little bit of the "No, Mr. Jones, I don't want to see the inside of your mouth" energy that made me laugh at the Alex Jones court case, and I've thoroughly enjoyed it.

Just like the take on Ms. Marvel that it's refreshing to not have mega super duper stakes all the time, I truly am enjoying the shakeup with these silly and inane court cases about things like a copyright claim made in bad faith or a magician accidentally sending a party bimbo to the Shadow Realm.

Sep 25, 2022
Definitely grasping - 2nd paragraph mentions getting fatigue from Hawkeye and Moon Knight. Whether or not you agree with the author's opinion, his criticism are valid and and on topic - there are quite a few comments who immediately find some anti-feminist angle, and there's nothing at all that indicates such...

I don't know. Hawkeye is about handing over the mantle of Hawkeye to a woman. Moon Knight has a strong female character who also becomes a Superhero.

I honestly think he just has fatigue, but both those shows had strong females in either the lead or co-starring role.

Sep 25, 2022

Yes, must be some other deeper, secret meaning, rather then it meaning one just not liking it b/c of a poor plot line/acting/special effects etc. ... Must be some hidden mi·sog·y·ny there... That's the ONLY explanation 🤦

Sep 25, 2022
It honestly sounds like you just don’t like shows driven by female lead characters. As a man, I’m not hating She-Hulk at all. I actually like all the weirdness about it and breaking the fourth wall, which is common with her character just like Deadpool. It was made to draw in more female viewers, which it has done just that, and to get guys to possibly watch with their female partners. Yes, the show has veered off a bit with more girly stories, like the dating and wedding episodes. And, I’m sure it won’t stay there. Admittedly, I haven’t been that interested in continuing with Ms Marvel only because I’m not that interested in teen stories, which tend to focus on petty high school matters and drama, and that’s where it lost me. LoL However, somehow I can totally binge watch Stranger Things LoL. It sounds like you are biased to shows that are male driven. I get that…But, maybe try not to complain so much and sound so jaded, dude. It’s only TV…LoL