I test the best hybrid mattresses – my top pick is $400 off in Labor Day sales

DerGolem

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2016
After all the positive reviews of the Classic, I wanted to buy one to replace my 10 year old Serta. Last Labor Day, I went to a Saatva showroom in San Francisco so I could try them before I bought one. I even went back to make sure it was what I wanted. I chose a Saatva Contour after trying the Classic, the Contour has a smooth top that I really liked, with a Labor Day discount. Each mattress is made to order, so it did not arrive for several weeks. Saatva contracts with a white glove delivery service and the delivery went seamlessly, they took my old mattress.

Saatva makes it clear that it takes time to break in the new mattress. But what shocked me was how firm the new mattress was, so firm I could not sleep on it. It had no give at all, and I did not have a month to break it in, I have disc degeneration in my lower back. This had not been a problem with my last mattress (a pillow-top Serta). I went back to the store, explained the problem. They were very understanding, even waiving the return fee. If you buy one, know it may take quite some time to break in.

On my way home, I stopped at a Mattress Firm. During the hour and a half I spent there, Manny and I had a wonderful time chatting and talking through how I sleep, how much I turn, the plusses and minuses of different mattress types, how long each of the showroom models had been on the floor.

I tried 2 other mattresses (one too hard, one too soft) and one that was just right: a full size Sealy iSeries Hybrid 1000 Medium which retails for $1799 (they're in the back of the showroom). Manny not only gave me a Labor Day discount but a friends and family discount. Because the Sealy is not made to order, it had time in the warehouse to settle in. I was able to schedule the delivery and had them move the Saatva to my garage for a later pick up. The Sealy was perfect when it arrived.

I hope this helps other mattress shoppers.