i think i shorted out my laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

railgunner

Estimable
Mar 10, 2014
I accidently shoved a micro usb into the usb port and it killed my computer. any solutions?
I was using the laptop with the charger and with the battery removed.
I've tried the generic laptop reset, which did not work.
edit: I mean laptop, not computer

Solution
If it's under warranty, it should be free as that's what you pay/paid the service it for, just in case something breaks however there maybe things/reasons they wont fix for free, or if the warranty has been voided they wont either. I cannot say an estimated price for sure as I usually fix my problems my self, but you'l need to consider the cost of parts, plus labour (them fitting and repairing) and possibly postage if it needs to be sent in mail to them. Think of the highest possible cost they'd charge and prepare for that amount lol, ask them for an estimate when you call too :)

railgunner

Estimable
Mar 10, 2014

no lights are turned on when I plug in just the charger, or just the batteries, or both

napster100

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013
Yeah you may have fried it I'm afraid... If you have another laoptop or PC I'd suggest extracting your data off of your hard drive o that if you reuse it you won't delete your data.

railgunner

Estimable
Mar 10, 2014

Is there any ways to save it? does that mean that all of the components of the laptop are fried?
I'd really like to save it if possible because it was quite an expensive laptop

All the expensive components (CPU GPU) are usually soldered right to the motherboard. It appears like you created a short that damaged part of the motherboard.

There are likely only THREE options:

#1: repair tech. May be expensive. hard to say. Might cost $100 just to say "can't be fixed for under $400"

#2: Warranty?

#3: paper weight.

napster100

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013
You may have just fried the RAM as there quite sensitive ie you can kill the just by holding it due to static electricity, if you got any spares laying around take out your current ones and put a spare in and see if it will POST. However this dose seem like its continually shorting out, look inside the USB port that you tried putting the micro USB into and compare with another port to see if they look the same as the micro USB could have bent some of h components inside it.

railgunner

Estimable
Mar 10, 2014

I do not have any laptop ram cards laying around.
I did not bent anything inside the usb port, I just kind of lightly tapped the micro usb to the internal of the usb port.
I thought usb ports had a surge protection or something like that?

napster100

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013
Surge protection is usually done before the electrical current enters the system since surge is an increased fluctuations in the voltage of the electrical flow it could damage the system way before hitting the USB ports, further more the USB port is where most USB devices obtain its source of power.

I don't think there's many more options left really, unless another member here has any more ideas?.... I guess the last thing to try would be to take it to your local PC repair shop for some circuit testing.

napster100

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013

I see what you mean about the laptop being expensive. There has to be something that can be done...

napster100

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013
I'm thinking your going to need a new motherboard, it could possibly be blown diodes or transistors. I'm not sure if it could have affected the BIOS chip, but if so theres no hope it will work, either the chip (if possible) will need replacing or again a new motherboard.

If you still have warranty on the laptop you should call them for a repair but before you send it off, backup the data on your hard drive and I believe your solid state drive too, as they may possibly format the drive/s.

railgunner

Estimable
Mar 10, 2014

gonna call the company very soon.
in general, how much would it cost to repair?

napster100

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013
If it's under warranty, it should be free as that's what you pay/paid the service it for, just in case something breaks however there maybe things/reasons they wont fix for free, or if the warranty has been voided they wont either. I cannot say an estimated price for sure as I usually fix my problems my self, but you'l need to consider the cost of parts, plus labour (them fitting and repairing) and possibly postage if it needs to be sent in mail to them. Think of the highest possible cost they'd charge and prepare for that amount lol, ask them for an estimate when you call too :)

Solution

railgunner

Estimable
Mar 10, 2014

i called cyberpower pc for the warranty.
apparently they will fix anything for the 1 year warranty, or at least i made it sound like it was the laptop's fault.
thanks for all the help.

flamingninja03

Prominent
Aug 13, 2017

Napster100 THANK YOU FRIEND My lights do turn on when i try to charge it and turn it on, the story how I broke it is,, my laptop had recently water spilled on it and I did what any normal person would do and douce it with rice it worked but, I was stupid and thought it was broke and it was just dead like no power so i charged it and it work then blinded by happinest I wasn't thinking I got a knife to get rice out of the usb port..... and then DED, but thank you its just the 8gb of ram!!! thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.