I used an induction cooktop for the first time — here are 3 things I discovered

I've been using an induction cook top for years. About the only complaint I have is that it seems to take a lot longer to boil a large pot of water (for pasta). However, for pan-frying or sauteing, or even just heating up a bowl of soup, it works very well.

-Wolf sends

John Fox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2014
It's always amazed me at the number of people who don't know how to use a gas range. I make rice, in a pan, on a gas range and NEVER hover. Why? I use the same device my grandmother used called a simmer plate. It goes over the burner and reduces the heat to a simmer gentle enough for the most finicky of sauces. I've never tried to melt chocolate, because that's what a microwave is for.

Most people have low end gas ranges, it's not fair to compare them to a high end induction. And if one can use a 12 inch iron skillet or soup pot on it, it's not a low end induction range. While one can put a 12 inch pan on a nine inch induction burner, it does not heat up the entire bottom of the pan and leads to cold areas. Those nice induction ranges require high amperage circuits, often needing rewiring if replacing an electric range, and can cost over 5,000 dollars.

I bought an induction burner to try out. Both my wife and I agreed we didn't like it. Couldn't use our big pans on it, and it still got messy when frying, we didn't see any advantage at all other than boiling water faster.

And if we need it that fast, we'll use our electric kettle, which is specifically designed to boil water and shut off when done. Other wise, we just plan our cooking time accordingly. Like chefs have done for ages...