I used the Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra's S Pen — and I don't get the point

Mar 8, 2022
I have to say that I agree with you. The pen feels pointless and only there because die hard fans (no matter how much of a minority they are) speak louder than those who don't care. So of course Samsung would pander to the loudest voices. The main use I can think of it for is for remote photography, or more specifically using the main camera for selfies rather than the front.

However, you say that the iPhone and Pixel 6 still have better cameras? Hardly any of the reviews I've seen suggest that (let's leave DXOs fading reputation to one side for a moment). Also, even ignoring the s pen the Ultra still seems to be the best smartphone available right now.

Reactions: Cilantrove
Feb 1, 2022
Lost me at "the iPhone 13 Pro and Pixel 6 Pro are better cameras, lol. Might want to actually check out the hundreds of reviews at this point. Much better night shots, much better zoom detail and focus and much better photos in general. The spen comments also made me laugh. Dude, stick to iPhone reviews and leave the Android and Samsung ones to people who actually know how to use the tech and run them as daily drivers.

Reactions: SadVulcan
Mar 8, 2022
Ah see I'm a keen s pen user, but the uses have become more and more evident over time. I don't use it on a general, day to day basis, but it's all about when...
  • I'm emailed a form to sign that can't be filled out electronically
  • I'm sending my dad a map of whistler Village and want to circle the various accommodation options to show him (pull the pen, tap the 'write on screen' option and you're instantly ready to draw, no need to so much as screenshot the webpage)
  • I'm sending a landscaper a photo of my yard and want to indicate the area I'm talking about
  • I'm reading an ebook, but the map is too small to read and I want to magnify it cause I need to visualise the fantasy world properly
  • I have more than one piece of information from one app that I need to input or copy onto another app, for example, bank details to pay a bill... sure I could split screen, but it's so easy to pull the pen, drag to select, and pin to screen and work full screen on the other app
  • yes, as a remote control for my camera it's awesome too... your hands can be wherever they want to be for the shot

There's more, but it's all these little things that add up to a major convenience. I'd like to move to a smaller phone in some ways, but I know I'll miss the pen...

Reactions: Pban
Mar 9, 2022
Ah see I'm a keen s pen user, but the uses have become more and more evident over time. I don't use it on a general, day to day basis, but it's all about when...
  • I'm emailed a form to sign that can't be filled out electronically
  • I'm sending my dad a map of whistler Village and want to circle the various accommodation options to show him (pull the pen, tap the 'write on screen' option and you're instantly ready to draw, no need to so much as screenshot the webpage)
  • I'm sending a landscaper a photo of my yard and want to indicate the area I'm talking about
  • I'm reading an ebook, but the map is too small to read and I want to magnify it cause I need to visualise the fantasy world properly
  • I have more than one piece of information from one app that I need to input or copy onto another app, for example, bank details to pay a bill... sure I could split screen, but it's so easy to pull the pen, drag to select, and pin to screen and work full screen on the other app
  • yes, as a remote control for my camera it's awesome too... your hands can be wherever they want to be for the shot
There's more, but it's all these little things that add up to a major convenience. I'd like to move to a smaller phone in some ways, but I know I'll miss the pen...
You have explained it much better than the guy who actually reviewed it.
@Jordan Stick to iphones my boy if you don't know how to use android properly.

Mar 9, 2022
Dear OP! You have options! You can buy any device you'd like that comes without a pen! I only have one option, as there's only one flagship that comes with a pen. Leave it the hell alone! Or just don't use the pen! Why do you have to use your "influencer" power to badmouth the only feature that has all the rest of us be loyal to Samsung for decades? Get an iPhone and go join the herd.

Reactions: Pban
Mar 9, 2022
Lost me at "the iPhone 13 Pro and Pixel 6 Pro are better cameras, lol. Might want to actually check out the hundreds of reviews at this point. Much better night shots, much better zoom detail and focus and much better photos in general. The spen comments also made me laugh. Dude, stick to iPhone reviews and leave the Android and Samsung ones to people who actually know how to use the tech and run them as daily drivers.
OP is obviously an apple fan boy

Mar 9, 2022
If you don't make a habit of using an utility, you'll never see the point of it.

What a pointless, pedantic article that I had the displeasure of reading this morning. Did all people lose their use for writing with pen and paper? Actual writing, scribbling, and signing is practiced on everyone's life. Then why not extend that functionality to our touch-screen electronics, especially the ones that we carry around with us every day?

It is unfortunate that the writer of the article didn't know how to incorporate simplicity itself into their work day or personal usage. The point he's missing is that using such a nice utility doesn't have to be on a daily basis. There comes moments where it's easier to write a shopping or a to-do list, or a phone number, or a reminder, or perhaps a fleeting idea.. and having that saved across all your Samsung-logged electronics, wherever you go. The run-of-the-mill "casual" smartphone user wouldn't have the mental acuity to remember there's such a little gem tucked neatly into their 'stylus-equipped' daily driver, and that it's only a second away from making your smartphone use just a bit more convenient.. and enjoyable.

Mar 11, 2022
I have 2 generations of Galaxy phones and was due for an upgrade. I don't use an S pen and will never break out an S pen to do any precision annotation. It's just never necessary for me. I'm postponing buying a phone to see if Samsung makes a non note ultra next year.

I'm frustrated at this change but see that it made the previous posters really happy. Congrats to note and s pen fans.

Mar 14, 2022
Well, I would like to preface with, if you DON'T get it, at least you are honest? I created an account here for the initial purpose of contrasting the title of this post. I have been an avid CONSUMER here since this site started in 1996. This post LIT ME UP enough to create an account, although refrain from retorting, with somewhat a professional response.

For those of us who ACTUALLY appreciate and USE the stylus, we are probably those people that still use a "mouse" for our desktops and even laptops despite the touch screens and touch pads? Having used a stylus myself since the Note II, HONESTLY I did not get it at first EITHER, I just wanted the LARGEST phone I could get at that time. Have I upgraded every year? No, didn't need to. Have I always bought the LATEST? No, not really, usually last years model at a discounted price.

Today, buying a Note or Ultra device with a stylus is NOT required for a MASSIVE phone. But guess what... I honestly have PROGRESSIVELY used my stylus MORE over the years as I LEARNED WHAT I could do with it. That said, JP, not sure you get the full potential if you used it for a day to a week? It took me a few year and I have an IT/IS admin background spanning 20+ years myself.

There is something about WRITING that has its benefits and in a ROOM of people / educators that want you to PUT YOUR DEVICE AWAY BECAUSE IT IS DISTRACTING YOU... I LOVE holding mine up to reflect, I am actually TAKING NOTES you crazy people!=D

It ALSO helps me... that my stylus works on ALL my stylus devices and are INTERCHANGABLE. Samsung really grabbed my attention and my interest to TEACH students and TEACHERS that a device is SO MUCH MORE than just playing games and even TYPING during a meeting. It serves me more than just the WOW factor. Being able to DRAW / DOODLE something out is PHENOMINAL! I have signed documents that REQUIRE signature, yes it is old school BUT some still require it... I just cannot do that with a keyboard only. I use my stylus for snapping photos remotely and from afar also.

JP, while I do respect your honest "opinion"...
If you don't need it? You don't need it.
Maybe you use your phone a little differently than us "Noties"?

Some of us WANT it, FOUND / learned use, USE IT and our choices are limited.
Long live the built in EMR stylus!

Thank you Samsung for THINKING of us NOTIES and making the stylus STOWABLE again!
You have won my respect and appreciation as an educator, IT/IS professional and administrator.

Last edited: