I want everything out the speakers but YouTube vids from Chrome to be through my headset.

Solution
I did for a period using a discrete sound card as well as the integrated. For my use case, it was Audacity to record audio specifically through the discrete sound card (audio playback to the connected headset) while I was playing other music/video through Media Player Classic HC configured to play audio though the integrated sound card to the speaker, so if your game recording soft & game can select the specific source to playback then you can set those to record through the audio card that your speaker is connected to while leaving the default playback on the headset for applications/games that don't have the ability to configure which audio device to play its audio to.

My another recent experience may not quite be related, but may...

aldan

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2013
the only option i know of is to set your speakers for default.when you plug in your headset the speakers should cut out.simply plug in your headset when you want to listen to your youtube vids.

There is no way I know of to selectively designate what goes where. You can designate the default sound output location but once something else is connected, like headphones, it's going to defer to that output. No way I know of to make a specific SOURCE go to a specific output.

RepoDraghon

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
I know some apps like Logitech cam software, discord, skype, even some games you can set it but not Chrome... I was hoping there was a workaround... btw, just bought the Logitech G430 and using it through the USB adapter it came with...

What I'm trying to accomplish is play and record sounds of the game but also watch vids without that sound recording...

Actually, seems like you MIGHT be able to do it, but it's going to require the use of multiple soundcards or a soundcard AND the onboard motherboard sound. Not sure this is going to work, I've never tried it, but it seems as though it might be what you are trying to do.

https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/how-to-split-exclude-seperate-audio-sources-off-your-stream-or-recording.12546/

If you have HDD's conflicting during startup it's probably because two or more of them have had operating systems installed on them at some point. This can lead to there being more than one master boot record which can in some cases, on some systems, confuse the heck out of it. Even if you have formatted an old OS partition, the master boot record may be a separate partition on the same drive and may not have been removed.

This is why when you relegate an operating system drive to a backup or storage drive, you should first use windows built in or a third party partitioning program to remove ALL existing partitions on the drive, then create a brand new partition on the drive and format it with the desired file allocation table (ie, fat32, NTFS, etc.) so there will be no remaining boot record or partition on the drive.

There could be other reasons for conflicts, but that would usually only be on much older systems. A faulty motherboard could be causing issues as well.

What are your system specs?

FD2Raptor

Estimable
Mar 5, 2014
I did for a period using a discrete sound card as well as the integrated. For my use case, it was Audacity to record audio specifically through the discrete sound card (audio playback to the connected headset) while I was playing other music/video through Media Player Classic HC configured to play audio though the integrated sound card to the speaker, so if your game recording soft & game can select the specific source to playback then you can set those to record through the audio card that your speaker is connected to while leaving the default playback on the headset for applications/games that don't have the ability to configure which audio device to play its audio to.

My another recent experience may not quite be related, but may still be of use to you: recently I replaced my speaker and unplug it while my headset is still connected plus I was having audio playback in IE; this resulted in IE always playback audio to my headset regardless of which device was selected to be the default playback device. When I disabled the headset as a playback device, IE then played audio to the newly connected speaker, even when the headset is later re-enabled and set as default. This was what a behaviour I observed on W8.1 by the way.

@aldan, as a bit additional info, using the Windows default driver for ALC integrated audio gives me two separate audio playback device, speaker and headset (speaker to the audio jack at the back, headset through the front panel). Update the driver through Windows Update to the Asus version remove that capability and left only one playback device recognized in either the installed Asus audio control panel or Windows playback device list resulting in only one of the two can be plugged in and utilized at any time (except for some settings and option that would result in audio being played to both at the same time).

Solution

aldan

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2013

good to know.thank you for the insight.