I want the best audio headset for 200$ for gaming and music, possible?

The_Icon

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013
Hi there,
I am a metalhead gamer, so I need to satisfy my inner rock n roll while also be good at the battlefield so to speak. So, all these years I have been using gaming headsets, while they are good, I hear that the grass is much greener on the other side, the professional grade audio non-gaming headsets.

So I was wondering, can I use non-gaming headsets for gaming? What am I losing apart from microphone which I can buy it separately? Does audio phile headsets provide 7.1 virtual sound for gaming? Finally, can any please recommend me some good professional audio level headsets within 200$?

Thank you as I don't have much knowledge in audio headsets.

Peace!

Solution
@op

are studio headphones better sounding than headsets? generally yes.

can you get 5.1 or 7.1 surround on studio headphones? not unless you have a soundcard with virtual surround or can get the razer free virtual surround software working. if so, then yes.

what headphones? that depends on your budget as well as your preferences. please read the "types of headphones" section of my guide (notably open vs closed difference) and search for my responses for other threads (forum search for "ssddx headphone headset") as i've provided many details you might like to know there which i'm not repeating here since i dont have time right now.

you can add a mic (such as the modmic) to the headphones for $50 and its good quality. if you dont mind...

EndGamerGuy

Honorable
Oct 15, 2013
If you want something that has surround sound, is great for gaming and includes a mic and is also great for music then check the Logitech G430's out, link below. Once I get all the parts for my gaming desktop and the keyboard and such and get it up and running, this is the exact headset I'am thinking of buying. You don't need to go for professional headsets, when some are a mix of both worlds.

Here is a link to the product page.
http://gaming.logitech.com/en-ca/product/g430-7-1-surround-sound-gaming-headset

Here is a review by pcworld
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2061295/logitech-g430-surround-sound-gaming-headset-review-surround-sound-on-a-budget.html

6R1M01R3

Estimable
May 25, 2014
Metalhead reporting! \m/ (I also like electronic music, yeah...DAT BASS)
I use the G430 and I am very happy with the quality of sound and comfort, the mic has good response and clarity of sound.
It costs about $80 so yeah. More expensive would be the G930 that is wireless and surround, even better sound that the G430.

EndGamerGuy

Honorable
Oct 15, 2013
I agree with you these are spectacular headsets, though I personally wouldn't go for the G930's. I read a review of them and although they are like a step-up from the G430's the bass is lacking, so as a Metalhead I don't think you guys would enjoy having less bass. I am a techno/electronic/rock/hitlist freak and the more bass the better, stick with the G430's.

Review of the G930's
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2392901,00.asp

EndGamerGuy

Honorable
Oct 15, 2013
Would steer clear of the headset from Amazon you sent, there are a lot of headsets out there like that, they may have awesome sound but they don't have anything else. If you want something for gaming, music and that has a mic and surround sound I would still recommend the Logitech headset, plus they are like $50 cheaper for more. More bang for your buck.

EndGamerGuy

Honorable
Oct 15, 2013
As for the Sony ones they are the same as the one above, good audio but pretty plain otherwise. Just stick with the G430 it has everything you want wrapped up in an affordable headset. Plus if you buy the Logitech and not an audiophile headset you won't need to buy an external mic, which will cost a good amount more.

@op

are studio headphones better sounding than headsets? generally yes.

can you get 5.1 or 7.1 surround on studio headphones? not unless you have a soundcard with virtual surround or can get the razer free virtual surround software working. if so, then yes.

what headphones? that depends on your budget as well as your preferences. please read the "types of headphones" section of my guide (notably open vs closed difference) and search for my responses for other threads (forum search for "ssddx headphone headset") as i've provided many details you might like to know there which i'm not repeating here since i dont have time right now.

you can add a mic (such as the modmic) to the headphones for $50 and its good quality. if you dont mind a rather average quality mic then there is the moovmic for $20 but its not nearly as nice.

chances are you will want a soundcard if you dont have one already. the xonar dx for $30 is the cheapest one which has dolby headphone support.

for $200 if you need everything...

-$30 for xonar dx
-$20 for cheap moovmic
that leaves $150 for headphones.

the ad700x is in that budget and has nice wide open soundstage for gaming but low bass output.
the hd558 is in that budget as well and has a smaller soundstage then above but a bit more bass
the ad900x is an improvement on both but still runs a bit bass light. it runs about $30 more than your budget
the hd598 has a bit less soundstage then the 900x but a bit more bass as well. again, about $30 more than your budget.
the dt770 doesnt have as wide of a soundstage but has really deep bass.
the dt990 may run above budget by $30 but has a wide soundstage and fair bass (but not "heavy bass").
the dt880 is more neutral sounding then the 990. it lacks the bass of the 770 and the wider soundstage of the 990.

Solution

The_Icon

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013
So for now I am just gonna use the 200$ for the headset alone (minus mic). I think from your description, the dt990 fits the bill perfectly. I am gonna be using it for gaming as well as music listening.

My Motherboard has 600ohm audio support so it should be good.

if you want "surround sound" you would need virtual surround support. this could be dolby headphone, cmss3d or the like... or the razer virtual surround software (however from my experience the razer one is a bit buggy).

i would recommend taking a look to see if your motherboard supports virtual. many do not, however i've recently heard from a few users that theirs did.

by default no, your motherboard does not support virtual surround.

you would need to use one of the other methods for getting virtual be it trying to get razers virtual surround to work or getting a cheap soundcard which definitely works. i've heard some people claim to get support via unlocking their alc1150 audio chip however i dont know the legality of this stands and i cannot vouche that it is safe to do so since it is unofficial and not from any trusted source.

in short: i think you will be needing a soundcard.

oh..

well as far as i can tell that is just because it supports surround sound speakers. ie 5.1/7.1 systems. ie, it has multiple jacks for that sort of thing. i looked through the manual and i couldnt see anything about virtual at all (which is not suprising since its onboard)

dolby headphone and virtual surround in general is completely different. the software needs to mix it so that it fakes surround over a stereo sound headphone/headset.