I want to buy a 17" laptop, which one is right for me?

lightspeed11

Estimable
Jul 3, 2015
There are many 17" laptops in the market, each brand having multiple models to choose from. How do i make my choice? I want a powerful laptop that is easy to upgrade in the future if need be. Are gaming laptops only good for gamers or can it be for multi-media too? Is it a waste if u buy a gaming rig but not use it for games? Or are laptop's good for gaming also good for everything else with the spec's it has?
If the answer is 'yes' my next purchase is a gaming laptop then.

Solution
Gaming laptops tend to be rather heavy, bulky, expensive, and have a useless battery life. For the most part, you don't want to carry them around.

There's two sides to power; CPU and GPU. The GPU is what matters most for gaming, but for most other tasks you don't need anything nearly as powerful. The GPU and its cooling gear is most of what makes a 'gaming' laptop larger.

Even a 'gaming' laptop isn't really going to be very upgradeable. RAM, storage, and GPU is about all you can expect. An upgradeable CPU is useless because it won't accept any later CPUs, only more expensive ones from the same generation (e.g. 4th gen i5 > 4th gen i7).
Gaming laptops tend to be rather heavy, bulky, expensive, and have a useless battery life. For the most part, you don't want to carry them around.

There's two sides to power; CPU and GPU. The GPU is what matters most for gaming, but for most other tasks you don't need anything nearly as powerful. The GPU and its cooling gear is most of what makes a 'gaming' laptop larger.

Even a 'gaming' laptop isn't really going to be very upgradeable. RAM, storage, and GPU is about all you can expect. An upgradeable CPU is useless because it won't accept any later CPUs, only more expensive ones from the same generation (e.g. 4th gen i5 > 4th gen i7).

Solution

Diganta Das

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013
gaming laptops are, in my opinion, a waste of money. If you wan't to game buy a pc or console. Gaming laptops are bulky and will give you problems in portability. If you can't stay without gaming then you might consider a gaming laptop. Else go for a good laptop that has good price to performance ration. Laptops are not that up gradable. all you can is add ram sticks and perhaps a gpu. And yeah if you don't game that much then it is a waste of money and usability to buy a gaming laptop.