I want to change my laptops processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tribes33

Estimable
Apr 21, 2014
Hello, I found a processor that's way stronger than my current laptops, but I don't know anything about changing laptop parts so I don't know what to do.

My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite C660 and my current processor is an Intel Celeron B800 @ 1.50GHz (2 CPUs) and the processor I want to buy is a Intel Pentium D Processor 820.

Is it possible for me to change the processor for a better one? I need a reply as soon as I can because I'm probably heading out to buy the processor today if I can change it.

Solution
It is possible to upgrade the CPU on some laptops, but you'll need to hunt down a specific mobile processor for it. Laptops are far more picky than desktop PCs about such upgrades. It's a fiddly process, and depends on a couple of factors: whether the CPU is fixed to the chipset with adhesive or had the pin welded to the socket, and whether it's accessible and can therefore be removed and replaced. I don;t think the processor you selected id compatible tho.
Laptops are created on jigs (special frames) that ensure all parts fit snugly and correctly each time one is created. Manually opening up a laptop and doing anything more technical than swapping hard drives or adding more RAM isn't the easiest of processes and will almost certainly...

samborambo56

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013

Nah you can't change processors in laptops really...most are soldered onto the motherboard so they can't be removed...

USAFRet

Illustrious
That will not work. Not even a little bit. Completely different sockets.

For a laptop, the CPU is sometimes changeable. But only within a small range.
1. If it is changeable, it has to be the same socket
2. The motherboard chipset has to know what to do with that new CPU.

Username101216

Estimable
Mar 21, 2014
It is possible to upgrade the CPU on some laptops, but you'll need to hunt down a specific mobile processor for it. Laptops are far more picky than desktop PCs about such upgrades. It's a fiddly process, and depends on a couple of factors: whether the CPU is fixed to the chipset with adhesive or had the pin welded to the socket, and whether it's accessible and can therefore be removed and replaced. I don;t think the processor you selected id compatible tho.
Laptops are created on jigs (special frames) that ensure all parts fit snugly and correctly each time one is created. Manually opening up a laptop and doing anything more technical than swapping hard drives or adding more RAM isn't the easiest of processes and will almost certainly invalidate your warranty.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.