I want to clean my laptop but im scared

thomaslink

Estimable
Jul 3, 2015
I used to have a desktop which i could easily open up and clean but now I have a laptop ( HP Pavilion 15ak030nd ) and it doesnt have a quick easy way to open it up.

What do you suggest me to do in order to clean my laptop from dust?

manddy123

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016
If you are noticing high temps from it, cooler not working properly, etc...

Get a YouTube tutorial video on how to clean a laptop.
It's more complicated than a PC because of it's tiny pieces, but it's not that hard. If you're careful.

But if you aren't noticing nothing weird happening to it, i'd recommend leaving it alone for now, not really worth the trouble.

If your laptop looks like this:

You can use this disassembly guide video, as it is the exact same chassis (only decorated differently):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3v98RbBYJQ

Either that, or buy a can of compressed air, and every couple of months spray it into the vents on the right side of the laptop to blow any accumulated dust away from the heatsink fins.

Jester Maroc

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013

If it is full of dust (happens easily in places where dust is a problem), he must clean it or it will overheat a lot easier. Not opening it is a lot worse than allowing the dust to continue to clog the cooling system.

Jester Maroc

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013

No, you will need to open your laptop. Listen to what the guys have posted above. Opening the laptop should require removing only 3-8 screws depending on model.

Look through the maintenance manual posted above (or youtube video for convenience). It will show you exactly how to open the laptop.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

Well at least get a can of air and blow through the vents. It's also a good idea to open it up and blow the dust out. Itr should just have a panel that unscrews you don't have to take it all apart. Just remove the panels and blow it out at least once a year. Thats what Bob at CNET says to do.

Doesn't just have a panel that unscrews. It's a relatively involved disassembly procedure on this one. :(