Solved! I want to convert 3.5mm audio to hdmi audio

Jul 27, 2021
I only have 2 hdmi skts which are occupied. Old TV so neither is ARC. My sound bar only has hdmi input. I've tried all methods of daisy chaining, multi skt adaptors and I just need that extra skt. There is a scart skt but it has no outputs.Can anyone help?

Solution
Hi, I have thought of this but wasn't sure if the hdmi would work without video information. I believe TVs won't work but what about a sound bar with a pass through hdmi o/p which would normally carry the info on to the TV? I don't believe the pass to the TV is required in my case but I don't know if that would affect the sound bar.

The sound bar is looking only for the audio signal from the HDMI cable. Don't use the pass through, just connect your TV source directly to the TV via HDMI and then connect the 3.5mm audio output to the converter and the converter to the soundbar via HDMI. You would have to check with the soundbar manufacturer but I have never heard of a required passthrough connection. That is merely a convenience.
Jul 27, 2021

Hi, I have thought of this but wasn't sure if the hdmi would work without video information. I believe TVs won't work but what about a sound bar with a pass through hdmi o/p which would normally carry the info on to the TV? I don't believe the pass to the TV is required in my case but I don't know if that would affect the sound bar.

Apr 17, 2021

The sound bar is looking only for the audio signal from the HDMI cable. Don't use the pass through, just connect your TV source directly to the TV via HDMI and then connect the 3.5mm audio output to the converter and the converter to the soundbar via HDMI. You would have to check with the soundbar manufacturer but I have never heard of a required passthrough connection. That is merely a convenience.

Solution