I want to free our family of iPhone data plan slavery

freet

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
Our family uses iPhones and the data plan are expensive. So I want to switch to a non-smart phone for all of us, non-smart phones that has bluetooth. Any recommendations? I think it would be better for us to use the iPhones as iTouches.

Also one thing we would worry about is the lack of GPS.

If I changed to T-mobile would I be able to use our iPhones with them without being charged any extra besides the basic plan sans data plan?
Also what could I do about the lack of GPS without a data plan?

in general smartphones aren't meant to be taken off the data grid. this is why cellular companies mandate a data plan. having access to data affects everything from gps to phone updates to weather, etcetera.

you could always swap back to an old clamshell phone which does not need a data plan but i think you will find that switch a hard one.

often providers lock the phone to the carrier so you might have to pay an unlock fee if you want to keep the phone on the new network. dont be suprised if tmobile wants you to have a data plan also.

you could always buy a standalone tom tom or garmin gps unit for driving.

there is no best of both worlds. either you get all of the goodies and pay the premium or you go back to the stone age as far as phones are concerned. i will agree that phone companies are definitely taking advantage of this but there isnt much you can do.

one option you do have is to drop your minutes down to compensate for the data charges. you could then use a voip service for phone calls to compensate. of course this would require a plan with unlimited data which seems to be harder and harder to find.

freet

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
I guess I could just use a Galaxy player / iPod Touch and then use non-smart phone for my phone services? Or even, not have a plan, just use for emergency purposes only with 'pay as you go'. Would that save a lot? Because Google Voice is free so I could use that as my primary number.

jbh

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012
are you in the UK ? if so give giffgaff a look over they run on the o2 network so have great coverage and they also do some cracking deals.
if you want contract look at tesco mobile again there sim only deals are great ive got 1500 minutes 5000 texts and 2gb data for £17.50 a month