I want to play Fallout 4 on a Toshiba Tecra Z50-A, what can I replace my Intel® Core™ i7-4600U Processor with?

strideright

Estimable
Dec 27, 2015
I'd like to get a faster processor for my new pc, since the new Fallout already surpasses my specs on my new pc purchase from this spring. My Toshiba Tecra Z50-A has a solid state memory only with no moving hard drive and keeps cool when playing all games thus far. And so I'm wondering what kind of processor I can get to improve the speed to Fallout 4 levels without making the pc run so hot it will destroy itself playing the game?

Solution
I don't know if you can easily (or cheaply) swap the CPU out.

*Also, the COOLER in your laptop is designed for a max heat output. If you get a better CPU (with better GPU) you'll output a lot more heat. It may have issues or be far too loud.

**Also, the BIOS must allow your CPU to be used so the manufacturer has to specifically put the CPU in the list. So it's not just the socket that has to be compatible.

Other:
I'm guessing you don't have dedicated graphics. That means you're using the HD4400 GPU on that CPU. So you'd mainly benefit by having better HD4600 graphics which will help but it's hard to say how much. Plus again, you're likely going to end up with throttling issues due to heat.

If you have a dedicated GPU already then...

ffg7

Splendid
not on yours.
1. Determine what socket the CPU uses. Basically all "U" (like i5-4210u) and "Y" (like i5-4220y) model Intel mobile CPUs uses socket FCBGA1168. "BGA" basically means the pins are meant to be soldered into the motherboard and you cannot upgrade it. All other models like "M", "H", "MQ", "HQ" and "MX" should be socket FCPGA946 which means they actually go into a socket and can technically be upgraded.
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2372970/laptop-cpu-upgrade.html

I don't know if you can easily (or cheaply) swap the CPU out.

*Also, the COOLER in your laptop is designed for a max heat output. If you get a better CPU (with better GPU) you'll output a lot more heat. It may have issues or be far too loud.

**Also, the BIOS must allow your CPU to be used so the manufacturer has to specifically put the CPU in the list. So it's not just the socket that has to be compatible.

Other:
I'm guessing you don't have dedicated graphics. That means you're using the HD4400 GPU on that CPU. So you'd mainly benefit by having better HD4600 graphics which will help but it's hard to say how much. Plus again, you're likely going to end up with throttling issues due to heat.

If you have a dedicated GPU already then make sure you're using that whilst gaming.

Summary:
I doubt it's possible or at least practical to make a noticeable difference here.

Solution

strideright

Estimable
Dec 27, 2015
Thanks guys for both of your input. I knew there would be more to it than I could understand, as I haven't even considered doing something like that for decades now. Tech always evolves too fast so when I don't have time to spend on the pc, I really fall behind in understanding the details behind it. ffg7 Thanks a ton for your speedy response. I think you answered first and fastest but I also appreciated the details that photonboy suggested with other options to help specifically with playing the game. I'll probably go ahead and buy it and try it on Steam since others have told me it should work on my pc if I change the stats. And if it doesn't, I will play it someday in the future with a better pc in 3 or 4 years...