News I wanted a new Android tablet — but I got this Chromebook tablet instead

GoGoGriffster

Prominent
Feb 3, 2022
It seemed the more Android apps I installed one this the slower it got. Even if the Android apps weren’t running.

CajunMoses

Distinguished
May 12, 2016
Admittedly, even the best Android tablets aren't even in the same league as any iPad. So it's good to see ChromeOS becoming adept as a tablet OS. I expect my next tablet to be a Lenovo Chromebook Duet 3. Can't beat the versatility and price combo.

Jun 27, 2022
Whats does the statement below from the article even mean? I've never heard this with chrome android.

"it’s no longer receiving any Android updates, so I could no longer officially run Google Chrome"

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2022
Wondering if this chrome book tablet has an end of life like the chromebook laptop I bought. at the time I purchased it I didn’t realize that end of life was a thing with chrome books.

Moose and Squirrel

Banned
BANNED
Mar 12, 2022
Wondering if this chrome book tablet has an end of life like the chromebook laptop I bought. at the time I purchased it I didn’t realize that end of life was a thing with chrome books.

The EOL got a lot longer once Google got the message that folks weren't that excited about a perfectly good piece of hardware suddenly not getting feature and security updates.

Like you, I made a pretty good investment in chrome device hardware, including i7 and i5 based chromeboxes. Pretty beastly, and a decent price since they were a couple of years old.

And then Google stopped updating them. So I went back to Windows, but Chrome OS Flex has my attention for any older bits of hardware.

Moose and Squirrel

Banned
BANNED
Mar 12, 2022
You should have bought the lenovo 10e. It actually got down to $79 IIRC from lenovo on ebay.

Most of the complaints, especially about the "chunkiness" were ridiculously overblown. I got a 10e and an amazon fire 10 plus, which has fairly similar hardware. Both are so similar in size and appearance that if they're off, I have to look for the amazon logo on the back to tell the difference. Ports are even in the same places. Only difference is the Fire tab has a microsd slot while the 10e does not.

However, both will work with a fast usb microflash drive. I have a Samsung Fit drive, and that works fine in the usb-c charging port on either. Pretty darn fast and more removable media than one could ever want.

The screen isn't exactly what I'd call "glossy" either.

This was a case where folks who bought a more expensive tablet tried to find reasons why there was a problem with the $99 one so they didn't feel bad about overpaying. I was shocked when I received mine and saw NONE of the reported "issues" with it.

Where else can you find a good performing extra screen with its own built in processing, with android/web/chrome/linux dev all in one for $100?

The 10e as an Education part also has updates for 6 more years, which is actually longer than I'll want to use it.