I was looking for a gaming laptop under 500usd. Found some with AMD R7. Is that an ok gpu for gaming? Will not be playing GTA5

maq1919

Commendable
Oct 18, 2016
I was looking for an inexpensive gaming laptop. I looked at a few with the amd r7 gpu. Is that gpu considered dedicated or integrated? Mostle want to play some older games and remasters like Turok and turok 2. I read the graphics memory is shared. I am open to any recommendations under 500usd that are considered gaming laptops. I will be buying it most likely the 1st of the month. Thank you.

Solution
The R7 is an integrated graphics core that is less powerful than a nVidia 920m.

If you are looking for an "inexpensive" laptop with a dedicated GPU, then the following Acer with a nVidia 940mx for $507 is basically the least expensive one you can buy assuming you live in the US. Since you are focused on playing older games and remastered Turok games the laptop should be more than enough. Based on what I can find Turok 2 remastered has pretty low system requirements can likely run decently even with integrated graphics, but I would wait for reviews to confirm that. While a quad core CPU is listed as a minimum requirement, I am pretty sure that is really not the case...
There is nothing considered a "gaming laptop" for under $500.

You can get laptops with AMD APUs in them that will play games if turn the settings down to medium/low. Most of these all have low resolution screens to a) cost less and b) allow the integrated graphics to at least get usable fps on low settings

Downfall to these is as a CPU they significantly fall short and will be slow at most tasks.

maq1919

Commendable
Oct 18, 2016
I'm just looking for something cheap. Will mainly be playing older games and don't really care about graphics that much. Right now I have an hp stream with an n3050 chipset. I usually play emulators like n64 and dosbox. However I play a lot of steam games and already have a dedicated gaming desktop with an I7 6700k and an evga gtx970. I just use the laptop in the car and at the families place also sometimes while watching tv. Even my HP stream can play some of the lighter games.

The R7 is an integrated graphics core that is less powerful than a nVidia 920m.

If you are looking for an "inexpensive" laptop with a dedicated GPU, then the following Acer with a nVidia 940mx for $507 is basically the least expensive one you can buy assuming you live in the US. Since you are focused on playing older games and remastered Turok games the laptop should be more than enough. Based on what I can find Turok 2 remastered has pretty low system requirements can likely run decently even with integrated graphics, but I would wait for reviews to confirm that. While a quad core CPU is listed as a minimum requirement, I am pretty sure that is really not the case.

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-NVIDIA-Windows-F5-573G-56CG/dp/B01F5LWTX4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1490316037&sr=8-2&keywords=acer+940m

Solution