I would like to connect earphones for me (deaf) and have the sound on from the speakers for my wife. Is this possible?

Solution
If your TV has an audio output you could connect a headphone amplifier, wireless transmitter to it for matching headphones, or use a Bluetooth transmitter which is compatible with many headphones. The TV speaker will continue to play and the volume of your headphones will be independent of the TV volume.
If your TV has a headphone jack you can get it modified so that the TV speakers do not turn off when you plug in your phones but the TV volume will control both the TV speakers and headphones which might not work for you.
If your TV has an audio output you could connect a headphone amplifier, wireless transmitter to it for matching headphones, or use a Bluetooth transmitter which is compatible with many headphones. The TV speaker will continue to play and the volume of your headphones will be independent of the TV volume.
If your TV has a headphone jack you can get it modified so that the TV speakers do not turn off when you plug in your phones but the TV volume will control both the TV speakers and headphones which might not work for you.

Solution