i7 7700HQ with GTX 1050TI 4GB vs i5 7300HQ with GTX 1060 6GB?

tavisprods

Estimable
Jun 11, 2015
I'm looking at getting a good gaming laptop with app dev capabilities and I don't know what can I get for a better ratio quality/price. Currently I am at DELL Gaming 15.6'' Inspiron 7577 with an I7 7700HQ with GTX 1050TI 4GB or the same laptop with i5 7300HQ with GTX 1060 6GB?

This laptop won't be changed pretty soon, so I want it to last for the following 4-5 years.
What do you think?

Solution
Hmm, Romania makes it a bit trickier to shop around. Those inspiron models appear to be about the cheapest platforms with that hardware in the US as well.

I think it really comes down to what you want to prioritize on, gaming or general performance.

i5 has a 256GB SSD, vs a 128GB in the i7, however, the i7 has a 1TB hard drive (which will consume more battery).

i7 is going to get you higher clock speeds and more threads, also at the expense of battery life.

I would lean towards the i5 for gaming and the lack of a spinning disk is an advantage to me. Leaves room for a SATA SSD to increase storage.

Another alternative is to wait a little bit for the 8th gen CPUs to hit your area. Some of those i5 are quad core with hyperthreading...

King_V

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2014
I'm assuming the display is 1920x1080 resolution. If so, then the one with the 1060 6GB will allow you to run modern games at max details.

The 1050Ti will allow you to do so at medium settings.

I'd say that the i5 with the 1060 will probably give you the better gaming experience, but my knowledge of laptop CPUs is very minimal... so I'd wait for at least one other person to chime in.

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
What's the price, and are you stuck on Dell? What about memory and storage?

Also is your primary purpose gaming, or will you be wanting the extra CPU?

Plenty of models out there with the same hardware, so you might also look at the display, general appearance, cooling, battery life, etc.

tavisprods

Estimable
Jun 11, 2015

They are around 1000 euros each. The sites are in romanian, but I will provide the links to better understand the models and features
I7
I5

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
Hmm, Romania makes it a bit trickier to shop around. Those inspiron models appear to be about the cheapest platforms with that hardware in the US as well.

I think it really comes down to what you want to prioritize on, gaming or general performance.

i5 has a 256GB SSD, vs a 128GB in the i7, however, the i7 has a 1TB hard drive (which will consume more battery).

i7 is going to get you higher clock speeds and more threads, also at the expense of battery life.

I would lean towards the i5 for gaming and the lack of a spinning disk is an advantage to me. Leaves room for a SATA SSD to increase storage.

Another alternative is to wait a little bit for the 8th gen CPUs to hit your area. Some of those i5 are quad core with hyperthreading, and the i7s are hexa core (writing this on one of them, hooray for pre-pilot testing)

Solution