Filiprino

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
[citation][nom]skyviper80[/nom]Does it have Blu_Ray?[/citation]
We hope so.
- Integrated.
- Software.
- External drive.
- Software + whatever USB reader you want to buy, no lock-in. USB readers are a standard USB class.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
With the controllers being what they are, unless Nintendo plans on selling the new console sans a controller, I would image the price of the console + 1 controller would be in the $500 range. Putting Nintendo squarely into the "for that money I'll buy a PC/ps4/xbox720" category, like the original PS3.

warmon6

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]skyviper80[/nom]Does it have Blu_Ray?[/citation]

if what im hearing is correct, they got something that has the same capacity as a single layer blu-ray disk (25GB) so it could be blu-ray or something close to it.

Although it probably wont be able to play blu-ray movies if the trend continues. (wii not playing dvd's for example.)

iam2thecrowe

Distinguished
[citation][nom]warmon6[/nom]Batteries of course. What else?[/citation]
not just batteries, IBM batteries that have 3x the power in 1 battery ;) . but on a serious note, why dont they make it play dvd's/blueray. thats one of the reasons i have a PS3. I actually rarely use my ps3 for games, just a cheap HD media centre. It also better have more than 512mb ram, im expecting 4gb, its so cheap, why not? Although IBM's supermemory will probably cost lots.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
@Dale. I highly doubt the Wii U will sell for 500 retail when it hits. Nintendo's business model is "get the hardware is as many people's homes as we can, then make money off software." Especially when in 2012 PS3 320GB + move bundle will cost around 300-350.

Why do you think Nintendo stuck with cartridges for the 64 and their personal made CDs for the gamecube? They are making their own 25GB disks for the Wii U because their money printing model comes from software sales. They don't want to share revenues by using a DVD or Blu-Ray.

IMO, 200-250 for the box, 100-120 for the controller + freebie game. So around 350-399 for Box+Controller+1 Game.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
[citation][nom]ikyung[/nom]@Dale. I highly doubt the Wii U will sell for 500 retail when it hits. Nintendo's business model is "get the hardware is as many people's homes as we can, then make money off software." Especially when in 2012 PS3 320GB + move bundle will cost around 300-350.Why do you think Nintendo stuck with cartridges for the 64 and their personal made CDs for the gamecube? They are making their own 25GB disks for the Wii U because their money printing model comes from software sales. They don't want to share revenues by using a DVD or Blu-Ray.IMO, 200-250 for the box, 100-120 for the controller + freebie game. So around 350-399 for Box+Controller+1 Game.[/citation]
Your comment reminds me of what they used to do before digital cameras with film or what they do with printer cartridges today.
[citation][nom]leper84[/nom]Can it play Crysis (2 doesn't count)?[/citation]
Actually- it **** well should be able to. The game was released in November 2007 (I'll give it 2008 for the benefit of the doubt for Nintendo's sake). They've had 2008, 09, 10, 11, and this thing will probably be released in mid-2012. That's four years- infinity in computer science and people are still whining about the stupid game. It's completely rediculous frankly. I realize the game is pretty poorly coded but you don't have to have the consoles sporting 8x anti-aliasing or anything rediculous like that for the game to still look nice.

G

http://www.cmoset.com/uploads/Toshiaki_Kirihata_2010.pdf
According to THAT the Power7 in the Wii U will sport 32mb of lvl3 cache, 1.2 billion transistors, no less than 8 cores, etc. AMD has said that they are offering their "leading-edge HD multimedia graphics engine," which should be nothing less than what the 5970 can pull off in a decent test bed. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5970,2474-8.html Also--the screen controller may very well be limited to one per system, as they have yet to announce a separate SKU for the controller. Given what I've seen--you wouldn't need more than one per console. Otherwise is uses the old Wii controllers. Even if the big N has to take a hit on each system sold, you can very well bet your ass they will be price competitive. They system won't be a dime over 399.99 {US} at launch.

G

Does no one else realize that Nintendo isn't like MS or Sony, who have other divisions to make money from? Nintendo has not sold consoles at a loss because their only business is consoles (+games). They have yet to go ps3 style: sell the console cheap and bet on the games. If that plan fails, the lost a ton on the console and have no where to make up for that money. It won't fail, but you still don't play with fire when it can put you through bankruptcy. And for that same reason, I highly doubt it will sport a 5xxx GPU because those are expensive. They usually go a couple tech gens behind so they can build the console for much cheaper.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]With the controllers being what they are, unless Nintendo plans on selling the new console sans a controller, I would image the price of the console + 1 controller would be in the $500 range. Putting Nintendo squarely into the "for that money I'll buy a PC/ps4/xbox720" category, like the original PS3.[/citation]

controller costs about 60-90$ im guessing 70 personaly
the cpu and gpu will cost 100 each
misc other things may add up to 100$ but im guessing about 50ish (they get whole sale prices not retail like us) so bringing it out for 350-400 is a VERY reasonable assumption and still pull profit.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Spiffym[/nom]Does no one else realize that Nintendo isn't like MS or Sony, who have other divisions to make money from? Nintendo has not sold consoles at a loss because their only business is consoles (+games). They have yet to go ps3 style: sell the console cheap and bet on the games. If that plan fails, the lost a ton on the console and have no where to make up for that money. It won't fail, but you still don't play with fire when it can put you through bankruptcy. And for that same reason, I highly doubt it will sport a 5xxx GPU because those are expensive. They usually go a couple tech gens behind so they can build the console for much cheaper.[/citation]

well a top end 4XXX single preforms about the same as a 5770 and they also cost within 10$ of each other, and thats retail price not whole sale.

its possible they go with that, considering i havent played a game yet i couldnt max at great frame rates on a 5770.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
i just found this, but they seem to be conflicting with what Nintendo's global president said. but interesting never the less.
http://www.gamesthirst.com/2011/06/08/wii-u-priced-revealed/

GaMEChld

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
[citation][nom]blader15sk8[/nom]What will be powering the controllers?[/citation]

The same thing that powers Gundams.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
Built at 45nm in 2012? I know they have to make some prior to launch, but still, what else does IBM make Power chips for any more besides consoles?

Status
Not open for further replies.