Ibm R51 black screen with beeps

amankhanrox

Prominent
Dec 13, 2017
Hi everyone i own a ibm r51 think pad laptop with celeron processor and don't know ram specs and also a hitachi 80 gb ide port drive. Now my problem is that every time i power up my system it gives some beeps( not sure about beep counts but between 3-5) and blows cpu fan and battery indicator on display panel besides that it even blinks hdd light for 2-3 times and light goes off. Latter on only fan keeps blowing and btw the cpu heats up as i took of keyboard and checked cpu and reinstalled rams. Thats it, plz suggest something.

Solution
MERGED QUESTION
Question from amankhanrox : "Ibm R51 boot error"

Something is not being initialized and so the laptop isn't POSTing. You can try an NVRAM reset, but...
Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

MERGED QUESTION
Question from amankhanrox : "Ibm R51 boot error"

Something is not being initialized and so the laptop isn't POSTing. You can try an NVRAM reset, but it sounds like there's faulty hardware (hard to say which component without testing).

Solution