IBM T61 total power off after a few minutes

edelange

Estimable
Jul 15, 2015
Hello, my IBM T61 is powering itself off after a few minutes. The fan works. The problem is not due to Windows, because even in the bios it powers off after being on for two to three minutes. Sometimes it takes more time, some time less.
I tested this configuration: SSD, DVD and battery are out. Adaptor is plugged in. I start the computer, it stays in its bios (like I want it to be), then after a few minutes it crashes completely without any wornings!
Can someone please help me find the problem? It would be very kind. I need this laptop to work for university in september!

Kind regards, Edgar

Solution
The cost to fix it would be more than replacing the system with a newer model. You will very likely need a new motherboard. I just sold a T400 on ebay for under $60, look around for that model, especially locally used, should be about $100-120.

edelange

Estimable
Jul 15, 2015

Tanks for the reaction, but I opened the laptop and saw the fan turning and the copper heat-exchange tubes were at a normal temparature. In addition to that, I had a overheating laptop (also a T61) and it indicated just before the crash that it was overheating.

The cost to fix it would be more than replacing the system with a newer model. You will very likely need a new motherboard. I just sold a T400 on ebay for under $60, look around for that model, especially locally used, should be about $100-120.

Solution