IBM Thinkpad Problems

Nov 12, 2018
I have an IBM r40 thinkpad. It had a bad no no so I replaced the motherboard and processor. When I plug it in battery charges. I hit the power button, power on indicator comes on, fan spins for a moment, hard drive spins, and nothing happens. I tried changing ram.

Solution
That has been known to be a RAM problem. If you have more than one stick, remove one and see if the other can start up properly. Make sure there is no dust in the slot you just emptied.

Put it back and repeat the process with the other one if the first doesn't improve thiings.
That has been known to be a RAM problem. If you have more than one stick, remove one and see if the other can start up properly. Make sure there is no dust in the slot you just emptied.

Put it back and repeat the process with the other one if the first doesn't improve thiings.

Solution

Aside from just playing with replacing the parts, why replace the parts? You can get a working R40 model really cheap and just swap the hard drive into that, or replace it. Even a $100 model like a T400 would be better and a T410 or 420 way better and still be under $200.