IBM's Future Traffic Lights Want to Control Your Car

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheravi

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Added to the fact that the average car is not designed for having the engine turning on and off all the time. I asked my mechanic about this and he said that (at least with my old car) unless you are going to leave it off for around 5 minutes or more, just leave it on. Hybrids are a different beast as they have been designed from the ground up with the ability to have the gas motor turn on and off.

twbg4cq

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
If the sole purpose of this tech is to save fuel, aren't there better solutions out there that should be focused on and developed?
Solutions that don't involve giving up partial control of your car?

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
I've long predicted that fuel efficiency would be the "winning argument" to getting better traffic automation and vehicle tracking (RFID) systems in place.

IBM already has a networked system somewhere in Texas for local police to track where each car is and provide real time video back to a control center.

One day soon you will buy a car with built in tracking that connects to your city/state run roads. This will be enforced not for their ability to watch you, but for the ability to increase fuel efficiency and reduce your vehicle carbon footprint.

obiown77

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
I love the way these nwo corporations being all this tracking and control related technology out for us, lol.

The only thing I wonder is, is technology for the 500 million that they want to remain on earth after there mass murder of 5.5 billion people, or before. because there eugenics plans, will take way to long for them, war is coming.

Let see some reviews of technology inspired bunkers.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]obiown77[/nom]I love the way these nwo corporations being all this tracking and control related technology out for us, lol.The only thing I wonder is, is technology for the 500 million that they want to remain on earth after there mass murder of 5.5 billion people, or before. because there eugenics plans, will take way to long for them, war is coming.Let see some reviews of technology inspired bunkers.[/citation]

Plz take your meds... But Ill keep my AR-15 chip-less just in case.

Not trusting the big corps doesn't mean you can make up crazy conspiracies out of thin air.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]obiown77[/nom]I love the way these nwo corporations being all this tracking and control related technology out for us, lol.The only thing I wonder is, is technology for the 500 million that they want to remain on earth after there mass murder of 5.5 billion people, or before. because there eugenics plans, will take way to long for them, war is coming.Let see some reviews of technology inspired bunkers.[/citation]

WHAT?!

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]outlw6669[/nom]Wireless control of my ignition?Thanks, I will pass.How long do you think it would take for someone to hack this...[/citation]

I give it a day and about another week before the hack is out to the public should it ever happen.

insider3

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
I'd rather spend the extra cash on fuel instead. As if everything isn't already controlled by another source already..It's only 2 stop lights to get to my job anyways. How much can one possibly save?

tornitron

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
"obiown77" isn't totally crazy; perhaps just a little. IBM did play an active role in the Holocaust by designing a system that allowed the Jews and other "enemies" of Germany to be cataloged, processed and later disposed of in extermination camps. The parameters of the system designed were highly specific, and Thomas Watson and the developers that worked on that system knew exactly what it was being used for. There has been a tremendous amount of documentation that has been uncovered in recent years that go into great detail about exactly what IBM was doing, and how with the prospect of propelling their business into the stratosphere, they were able to look the other way while millions of people were systematically singled out and exterminated.
Of course, this is totally going off topic, but I can easily see why people would not trust IBM.

Hilarion

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
Great! Now they'll be able to "crack" the stoplights and mess with the cars....
Or "authorities" could arbitrarily "override" the system to stop your vehicle.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
We all know that idling is a big waste of fuel and creates unnecessary emissions, and hybrids do shut off the petrol motor when idling – but we have a feeling that this idea from Big Blue is just a far off dream as both traffic lights and cars have to be fitted with this technology and motorists would have to relinquish some control.

You must be new here. IBM makes more money off patent royalties than it does everything else in it's business (this was true even before the Lenovo spinoff). IBM sees these trends coming 10, 15, 20 years in advance, gets the patents, and sits back watching the checks roll in.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]tornitron[/nom]"obiown77" isn't totally crazy; perhaps just a little. IBM did play an active role in the Holocaust by designing a system that allowed the Jews and other "enemies" of Germany to be cataloged, processed and later disposed of in extermination camps. The parameters of the system designed were highly specific, and Thomas Watson and the developers that worked on that system knew exactly what it was being used for. There has been a tremendous amount of documentation that has been uncovered in recent years that go into great detail about exactly what IBM was doing, and how with the prospect of propelling their business into the stratosphere, they were able to look the other way while millions of people were systematically singled out and exterminated.Of course, this is totally going off topic, but I can easily see why people would not trust IBM.[/citation]

What's not to trust? Did or did not the German trains run on time? Don't make me invoke Agile Hitler in order to explain the intricacies of good software development.

/what, too soon?

domenic

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Practical adaptation of this technology is more than 20 years away (if ever), and by then then this patent will be expired. So what's the point? IBM -- more (useless) patents than any other corp.

Status
Not open for further replies.