ICANN Approves International Domain Names

Status
Not open for further replies.

frozenlead

Distinguished
Internationalization? If anything, this is a move to segregate the internet - I'll bet a good portion of the planet doesn't know how to enter non-native characters into a browser.

Using a unified language on the Internet is one thing that made it great. Imagine if every country tried to use their own transfer protocol - where would the Internet be had that happened?

darkknight22

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
this makes no sense.

considering that the adopted universal language is English, I don't know how they are going to make this work. I understand where they want to let everyone do there own thing but at some point you have to draw the line.

Take air traffic control for example. It doesn't matter if you are a french pilot flying from Paris to Berlin, everyone speaks English. Nobody would be able to communicate with each other otherwise.

Can you imagine a day where we have Chinese character URL's running around? I don't even know how to find them.

G

great! More questionable sites but in languages we won't be able to understand! Good time to update that firewall and get your AV up and running =)

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
[citation][nom]Honis[/nom]Time to invest in anti-phishing software companies![/citation]Hopefully, the browsers will display the URL in some way that you're able to distinguish very similar letters from other alphabets. Otherwise, it will only make phishing easier...

swamprat

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
[citation][nom]decept[/nom]But this have already been the case for a long time. I know of both Swedish and Hebrew URLs.[/citation]
I think that I read that this type of address has been possible for a while but isn't internationally supported. For example a chineese URL could work in China and some other countries but wouldn't be accessable from others. This seems to move it a bit wider to anyone who can type it (or be directed there by a link / virus) can get there.

ThisIsMe

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
[citation][nom]Currently, approximately half of Internet users are native speakers of languages that do not use the Latin alphabet.[/citation]

Yeah, and that half probably speaks at least 50 totally unique languages. They have literally turned the Internet into a hay stack, and websites into needles.

ICANN is just as messed up and corrupt as the UN.

Status
Not open for further replies.